Looking for Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b2gdBill

New
Reaction score
All,

I'm looking into learning more about underwater videography. I would like to someday turn pro and make a career out of it. With that aside for right now, are there any recomendations on classes that I should be looking for? I'm located just south of Atlanta, GA.

What types of classes should I be looking for/taking?

Thanks

Bill

b2gdBill:
All,

I'm looking into learning more about underwater videography. I would like to someday turn pro and make a career out of it.
Bill

Good luck. Not to burst your bubble, but making a living as a fulltime underwater videographer is not likely to happen. Most underwater videographers are hobby-ists. Those that do make some money have another job for their main source of income. :D

I didn't want to burst his bubble, but hey, doesn't hurt to dream!!!!!!

I think it's possible, especially if you have a group of people interested in it that can do larger scale work....but hey, thats just me!

I'm personally looking for a team of people to do this over here in southern cali...if we can find jobs and funding, I could see things like this happening!

:)

good luck
-M

shadowr69:
I didn't want to burst his bubble, but hey, doesn't hurt to dream!!!!!!

I think it's possible, especially if you have a group of people interested in it that can do larger scale work....but hey, thats just me!

I'm personally looking for a team of people to do this over here in southern cali...if we can find jobs and funding, I could see things like this happening!

:)

good luck
-M

I guess anything is possible, but something new and different has to happen to make a decent living as a fulltime underwater videographer.

You can make some money shooting underwater video:

- making and selling vacation videos, typically at a resort or hot dive destination
- instructing underwater video classes
- making and selling documentary videos
- as a cameraman on a professional production, editing is typically done by others

You could work at a resort combining skills as a divemaster, instructor and videographer. Not exactly what most of us consider a longtime career though.

Sorry if I sound like a pessimist, but I can't even give my videos away for free. On all my dive trips I offer to send people a copy of my videos on tape or dvd. Only 3 people have ever taken me up on my offer.

ronrosa:
Sorry if I sound like a pessimist, but I can't even give my videos away for free. On all my dive trips I offer to send people a copy of my videos on tape or dvd. Only 3 people have ever taken me up on my offer.

I guess you have to be a certain type of person...me personally, I can watch the stuff I've shot all day finding something new and exciting about it.....but not everyone can appreciate it...

I've had one offer for someone to buy my stuff, of course, it was the first time I shot any uw video, but it was on a shark dive....and they really wanted to prove that they swam with sharks...so.... :D

-M

Also:

I have been in the boat, looking for classes, and the only things I've found are:

1) ScubaZoo Aqua School: http://www.scubazoo.com/pr/aquaschool.html

2) Optiquatics: http://www.optiquatics.com/tripdet/OnTheRoad/RogerVideo.htm

3) Trips w/Jonathan Bird: http://www.oceanicresearch.org/filmsj.html

4) Chris Brandson: http://www.chrisbrandson.com/

and of course:

5) Mike Veitch (who is on this board, and will probably be a lot more helpful than me :14: ): http://www.mantaray.com/

Hope this helps... at least a little :D

IMHO, instead of paying for classes, your money is better spent diving and making videos.

Experience is a great teacher. Watch other people's videos, learn from them and combine the features you like to create your own style. Show your finished work and ask people for a honest critique.

I don't know....I read Howard Hall's "don't get into underwater cinematography" rant on his website as mostly a way to keep people from cutting in on his territory. I found it incredibly negative and mean-spirited at times.

Howard's coming from a completely different era, where good gear was not accessible to folks like you and me. It's the same with the music industry; bands don't get record contracts and become stars under the same set of circumstances as a group like Aerosmith did in the early 70's. That Hall had to sweat and eek it out until he could crack into the world of big-budget movie making means nothing to a guy like me who has no desire to shoot for Hollywood. But regardles, the tools to make a good film or video are in my hands, now. It is a veritable techno-revolution out there. I own several broadcast-quality cameras and several pro editing suites, and I didn't spend 50,000 for it, either. I just think that the essay Howard Hall wrote made him seem like a dinosaur. And a very sour and curmudgeonly one, at that.

He does however, raise some really, really, really, really great points:

1) Go into this industry simply out of a love for the animals you shoot. If you're simply psyched to see your photos come out great, then anything that happens above that will be a very, very sweet icing on the already delicious cake.

2) Excellent scuba skills are essential. No exceptions. Learn composition as you go, but don't even attempt to start learning it until your buoyancy's perfect.

3) Learn about how to create good u/w moving images by watching loads of u/w/ films and docs. Personally, I'd add to that that after watching a bunch of the good ones, look at some crap videos, too. It'll open your eyes in a way you never thought possible (or would have wanted, in some cases).

4) Don't bury yourself in insurmountable gear debt. More than a few full-time pro u/w filmmakers have told me this, too. It is an indisputable fact that well-shot video from a 3-chip consumer cam is more interesting to watch than hi-def shot in the hands of a baboon. It's all about composing the shot.

There were quite a few other points he made that I think are valid, but I won't waste yor time. The point is that you probably can't make a full-time living doing just u/w video, but I absolutely believe that through several different avenues, you can make some living. Quite frankly, that's what I'm banking on, too. I don't just enjoy shooting u/w, so that helps my situation.

Ron, I think you'r eon the money in terms of seeking multiple avenues for u/w vocationally, and i also emphatically agree with you that this is not something that requires loads of instruction. Maybe a class or to to learn the basics, but after that it's all about doing it and doing it and doing it some more.

Back
Top Bottom