looking for buddy for Dutch on sat. 19 or sun. 20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I couldn't dig up anyone at my local shops, so I thought I'd try posting here. I'm looking to go to Dutch Springs on either Sat. or Sun., doesn't really matter, and am looking for a buddy. A saw in the Dutch forum that they've started a looking-for-buddy location, which I guess I'll try also, although I'll feel like a kid at the lost children's desk. Anyone let me know if they'll be up there and are interested.

Thanks,
Austin

camshaft:
Hey guys,
I couldn't dig up anyone at my local shops, so I thought I'd try posting here. I'm looking to go to Dutch Springs on either Sat. or Sun., doesn't really matter, and am looking for a buddy. A saw in the Dutch forum that they've started a looking-for-buddy location, which I guess I'll try also, although I'll feel like a kid at the lost children's desk. Anyone let me know if they'll be up there and are interested.

Thanks,
Austin

I'm not currently planning on going this weekend, but I wanted to copy this post from the DS Buddy Finder board. This way if any of you need to bail or if things change and you need to find someone out there, you'll be able to do so. Several folks besides from this group will be out there this weekend, at least on Sat., and here's how to find them if you need to. There's some people from the NYC Meetup.com SCUBA group that will be there on Sunday. Also, search here for the Wreck Valley club folks who are often there.

*** from DS site ***
Last week, Take 3 of the buddy finder experiment was even more successful then Take 2! Lots of return divers plus some new faces! I don't think there is any need to call this an experiment anymore as lots of people know about it and it seems the spot has just about enough momentum to keep it alive without my help!

My plans for this weekend are only for 19-Aug + hopes of a night dive. So for Sunday, are there at least two people (to assure a pair) planning on diving on 20-Aug (Sunday)?

So, once again, just as a reminder, the rules for the buddy finder spot are:

1 - Come to the Dutch Springs T-shirt Shop at 9am, 12pm, and 3pm and hangout under the covered area for about 5 minutes.

2 - Bring your mask with you and keep it in plain sight. This is the visual clue that you (and others) are looking for a buddy.

3 - If no one shows up, come back at the next meeting time. If someone shows, strike up a conversation, figure out what you want to dive, pair or tri off, or stay as a group, and WAIT for the remainder of the 5 minutes before you head off to dive.

4 - IMPORTANT: If you plan on repeat diving, regardless of weather you are going to stay with your new buddy for the rest of the day or not, return to the T-Shirt Shop at the other meet times during your surface intervals to possibly pickup other single divers.

NOTE: This isn't an official Dutch springs program, so most of the staff is not going to know about the buddy spot. But if you feel the urge to ask someone, ask the people who run the chuck wagon under the covered area of the t-shirt shop. I made it a point to fill them in on the experiment last week and I'll do the same this week. BTW: buy something from them, they are independent from Dutch and are there to make money selling food ... not set you up with a buddy!

** end **

Thanks Scott. The post you copied was the one I referred to that I saw in the Dutch forums.

Austin

camshaft:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Austin

That looking-for-buddy thing works. Several people in my dive club have used it. They meet at 9am, 12pm and 3pm at the picnic table by the t-shirt shop, and all have mask in hand to signal they're looking for a buddy. Try it, I'm sure you'll find some folks to dive with.

theoceanblue:
That looking-for-buddy thing works. Several people in my dive club have used it. They meet at 9am, 12pm and 3pm at the picnic table by the t-shirt shop, and all have mask in hand to signal they're looking for a buddy. Try it, I'm sure you'll find some folks to dive with.

Ok, sounds promising. Just wondering though since I haven't been there in a couple years, which day is less crowded - Sat or Sun? Also, one guy I was talking to said it's actually a good idea to arrive during peak time, around 1 or so, because then by the time you're in the water the large crowds are starting to leave. Any input?

Austin

camshaft:
Ok, sounds promising. Just wondering though since I haven't been there in a couple years, which day is less crowded - Sat or Sun? Also, one guy I was talking to said it's actually a good idea to arrive during peak time, around 1 or so, because then by the time you're in the water the large crowds are starting to leave. Any input?

Austin

I tend to go early. Has never been a problem, in my experience, with too many people. It's a big enough lake. If you just want to follow the ropes and go to the nearby sunken stuff, then yeah, you might encounter some people, but it's easy not to see anyone at all if you head further out. That's just me. I like to get a full day of diving in and beat the Sunday traffic coming home for the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom