Looking for an Ice Dive course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh. No, Richard M, not how it was. It is a long gradual swim out to the Kinghorn along a line when done as a shore dive. These divers did not plummet to the bottom.
Ontario Diving
---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 06:40 PM ----------
Did that diver die because of decompression violations? Reaching ice ceiling in an uncontrolled manner should not be an issue because you are still connected with the safety line. No?
No, they were treating it as a cave dive. Not a tethered dive. It was about 700 ft from shore when the accident occurred. Stage bottle freeflowed on the bottom, then backup, then inflator. A very detailed accident report from team member is on OD linked above.

Last edited:
I went out with Mississauga Diving Services a few years ago.

Don't do that.

It was a horrible experience.

Basically it was so disorganized everyone's gear froze. I ended up sitting on the hole as a "Safety Diver" for about an hour. Well, just like every person before me my (Mk.17) regs froze up.

Out of 12 divers only two managed to get in a dive so I cannot blame the equipment here.

Shoredivr, the posted link does not work for me...would you please post the article.

I went out with Mississauga Diving Services a few years ago.

Don't do that.

It was a horrible experience.

Basically it was so disorganized everyone's gear froze. I ended up sitting on the hole as a "Safety Diver" for about an hour. Well, just like every person before me my (Mk.17) regs froze up.

Out of 12 divers only two managed to get in a dive so I cannot blame the equipment here.

2 of my divers were there they agree with you .......they dove last 2 ice courses with me ..........i have it all nailed down , every one has a great time ....my bail outs don't freeze up ! but personal gear is checked the day before in class .....................will let you know in 2 weeks ..............steve

That sounds pretty extreme - outside my comfort zone. When we dive under the ice it is usually 30 feet depth max and 100 feet max from the hole.

ice dive course is now full .......its going to be fun .......

FILE0128.jpgour ice diving courses are always a blast...
except maybe when your glove leaks right form the git-go...
he is seen giving the official padi signal for this malfunction...
water was 38* at depth which is far better than the 32.5* in the st law. river.
trick to ice diving...plan your dives-dive your plans
details
have fun
yaeg

ice diver course fininished everone had a blast ...thickest ice ive seen ice diving in 30 years this late in the season ....36 inches !!!!!!congrats to all the newly minited ice divers and ice diver tenders (new sdi course i authored )...congrats Aziz (captain sinbad ) Rachelle , Dave ,Noah, Tim (ice divers ) brian ,alex, warren ,Tim,Mike (tenders ) the temp did not co-operate with temps dipping into the high MINUS teens but we got it done , allmost 2 hours cutting the ice ,,WOWWWWWW.....pics will follow after ever one thaws out .............STEVE

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom