Looking for advice on new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad about your difficulties; those regulators are quite simple to maintain and last forever. I, too started out with the Cyklon 300. Many, in the States, who don't work on their own gear, routinely ship their regulators to different cities or out of state for overhauls.

Out of curiosity, does the Cyklon simply free-flow, when pressurized; or when the purge is used? Are you comfortable enough with your gear to check the regulator's IP? It could be a very simple fix, with a flat-headed screwdriver or dental probe; or one which will require an overhaul. When was the last time that it was serviced, if at all?

Below, is a section of the manual, where the second stage is adjusted, through the mouthpiece, by rotating an either white or black-colored ejector sleeve. It may just be a matter of decreasing its sensitivity a bit, since the Cyklon is usually set close to a free-flow. I adjust mine in that fashion and futz with it from time to time, if it becomes a bit too touchy.

View attachment 676790

Here are also some resources for Poseidon, in Canada (you're in Ontario, eh?) and a copy of the service manual for you to examine . . .

View attachment 676794
Thanks for the great information. I believe the IP may be too high as the dive shop I bought the reg from wasn't Poseidon trained, but I am not comfortable checking it out. I was concerned the 300 octopus was holding back the performance of the 5000. It hasn't been serviced yet, but has only around 50 dives on it. It was usually the 300 free flowing, particularly when I went in the water, or it got turned a certain way. The 5000 only went off once or twice. Thanks for the info on the service shops, it was Mario in Toronto who said he could do it but with his shop only running part hours, I couldn't guarantee it getting there in his open time frame , and he is three hours from me.

Thanks for the great information. I believe the IP may be too high as the dive shop I bought the reg from wasn't Poseidon trained, but I am not comfortable checking it out. I was concerned the 300 octopus was holding back the performance of the 5000. It hasn't been serviced yet, but has only around 50 dives on it. It was usually the 300 free flowing, particularly when I went in the water, or it got turned a certain way. The 5000 only went off once or twice. Thanks for the info on the service shops, it was Mario in Toronto who said he could do it but with his shop only running part hours, I couldn't guarantee it getting there in his open time frame , and he is three hours from me.

Just ship it to Rob, especially since you can get it across the river to avoid the international shipping hassle. It's just an adjustment problem from someone who didn't know what they were doing, no reason to get rid of one of the best regulators ever made because of that.

You guys are kind to recommend me. @2MADAKAT , @Bigbella had it right. These regs are mechanically quite simple, and I still have Cyklon 300 parts and kits. It's just an adjustment issue, most likely. In any case, I'd be happy to make it right, either so you can keep diving it, or so you can sell it to dive something that's reliably serviceable locally. Open a Conversation and we can chat more.

Cheers!
Rob

Just ship it to Rob, especially since you can get it across the river to avoid the international shipping hassle. It's just an adjustment problem from someone who didn't know what they were doing, no reason to get rid of one of the best regulators ever made because of that.
Unfortunately, I can't get across the river yet and international shipping is costly. I don't plan on getting rid of my Poseidon, I just want to have a spare reg for times like this especially now my Conshelf is no good either.

Thanks for the confirmation on the quality of the Core. The reason I ask on the Octopus is it costs $300. for a Core model which is almost half the price of the reg itself at $693.00

I just bought a Core Octopus for $179 on Amazon. MSRP is $239.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Lung-Aq...&keywords=aqualung+core&qid=1629123348&sr=8-2

I bought a (NIB) Core Supreme DIN regulator set on eBay for $300 plus shipping and tax. You just have to search, the MSRP is $529.00.

I know you are in Canada but surely you can find similar prices?

N

Your Conshelf and Dacor second are both easily serviceable! Guys on this forum do it all the time. Happy to help. Have the parts.
I guess you're not getting much advice on buying a new reg, lol! But I can get both sets working perfectly for less than the cost of new gear, probably even including postage to Canada.

Unfortunately, I can't get across the river yet and international shipping is costly. I don't plan on getting rid of my Poseidon, I just want to have a spare reg for times like this especially now my Conshelf is no good either.
Rob can fix the Conshelf as well. All the service parts are still available. So many regs are based on that design that they'll always be available.

Your need a tech that actually understands regs, not someone who had been through a couple of one day manufacturer courses and can only replace parts from a current service kit. Someone will know a Canadian tech like that. Try posting a new thread.

You're welcome.

That Cyklon 300 octopus is virtually identical to the 5000 (both are rated the same, though the 300 was typically run at a slightly higher IP); just possesses that metal body, in lieu of a plastic tube -- has the very same innards; and it would have no adverse effect, whatsoever, on the newer regulator model. I frequently mix and match. A simple adjustment looks to be in order, to “desensitize” it a bit, for use as a safe second; but an overhaul may be valuable, if that hasn't been performed in a while . . .

Whoever told you that the Conshelf SE2 can’t be serviced was feeding you a bucket of crap!
Especially someone who is supposedly an Aqualung dealer, that is just disgusting.
They just want to sell you a new reg plain and simple.
I have a brand new kit right here. I have always been able to get them and will always be able to get them. They have been around since the 60’s and nothing has really changed. It’s still one of the regs used by the US Navy.
There are probably more Conshelf series regs out in the world than any other reg.

15729E44-D27C-443C-A4F3-319CFFCFCFC5.jpeg

078CB261-A544-48B1-AE14-06C2E000C267.jpeg

Get the Conshelf and the Poseidon serviced and tuned by our own @rsingler. Forget the new reg, what you have is better.

I want to thank everyone for their replies and to let you know that I picked up a freshly serviced Sherwood Blizzard reg set that looks like new. Came with octopus and console and I will be using that reg until I get my Poseidon serviced.
Just saved $950. Plus 13% tax by not buying the new reg with octopus. (And that didn't include console, I would have had to use my old one.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom