Looking for advice from Morehead area divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the strategy I (and probably others) would recommend.

For your first trip, book a charter to the INDRA, which is a little closer, shallower, and gives a nice introduction to the boat, the lines, and the diving off NC (along with some cool stuff to see). These are usually afternoon charters on weekend days, so you can spend the morning doing something with the family.

Then, book a full day charter and pick some kind of specialty class that you want to do along the way towards AOW (Nitrox is great if you don't have it already). The key here is that you should get to dive with your instructor as a buddy - a real plus for your first offshore dives.

If you have a choice, schedule the dives for early in the week. Then you can reschedule for later in the week if weather cancels the dive trip.

Olympus Dive Center (who probably has an ad on the top of this page) and Discovery Diving Co., Inc. - North Carolina Wreck Diving in the Graveyard of the Atlantic are the two major dive ops in the region. They both do a nice job, IMO, and it's easy to find good reviews about both.

Have a great trip-

Rich
let's not forget Diver Down with captain Bobby Cox, just had a great experience diver wwith him for 3 days

Glad you had a safe trip with Cox. For some of us it is impossible to forget him.
Not to hijack the thread, but RAD- wanna do some Morehead dives Oct 10-12? Been awhile since we've seen you. Thats also open to anyone else, we are not a shop, just divers mainly from the eastern panhandle of WV that go diving, splitting the cost savings (unlike shops).
-J

Hi Sinbad,

I too live in Vienna! why can't we have wreck diving with warm water in NC???:confused:

Around this time last year I took the wreck course and the open water dives with Discovery. Great spot to do so, esp as all others have indicated the Indra.

In fact,,,, I'm leaving Fri morning and will do a night dive on the Indra.

As someone else said, the 'penetration' dive is more like just a swimthrough, in fact most of the dives I've done in NC (Morehead, Beaufort, Outbanks) have not been penetratable.

Just came back from St Lawrence (Canada) and there were a few you could go in.

Personally, I prefer Discovery Diving to Olympus. Only because I believe in preservation of shipwrecks not the looting of anything that you can take.

Hope you have a fun time!! Let us know what you did... and what you thought of swimming with the sharks

EMT I'm not sure I get your question about warm water. I'm looking to do a few trips to other quaries in the next month or so, PM me if your interested or are looking for a buddy for a local trip.

Anyway, the bad news is I'm not going to be able to make this trip....unfortunately I had kids before I got into SCUBA and until the little one gets old enough that I can use him as an excuse to dive (but honey I need to spend some quality time with the boy) their schedules end up getting in the way of everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom