Looking for a small SS backplate and can’t decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am considering a few options.
As I dive on a 15.7” long aluminum backplate now and it’s feels ok, the standard Halcyon steel plate may work. It’s 15.3” tall. This would forego having to use an STA as it has slots built in. I fear the additional 2.2 lbs for the STA may overweight me. (I use 4-6 lbs in pockets and the aluminum plate is 1.10 lbs).
Another option is an Oxycheq small steel plate that is 4 lbs and 13” long. The medium is 5 lbs and 15” long. I would probably need to add a bit of weight.

1. Standard Halcyon steel plate no STA (6 lbs) possibly no extra weight needed
2. Small Halcyon steel plate with STA (7 lbs) (maybe slightly overweighted)
3. Small Oxycheq steel plate (4 lbs) would need extra weight
4. Medium Oxycheq steel plate (5lbs) would need extra weight

Would a smaller bp be better? Feel different? I don’t know. I’ve never tried one. I almost always have a 3 or 5mm wetsuit on. If it’s very warm, a Lavacore suit.

I am still waiting to see how far from the top of the list I am for the Freedom plate. Those are 3 lbs but I think the comfort difference would be pretty big. Maybe??

ETA: I found some lighter weight STA’s. Paired with the small Halcyon, could work best.

My wife needed the smaller plate due to how the regular plate didnt work with her body morphology and was hitting her past her waist. I posted pictures of her in the thread I linked to earlier that shows her wearing the full size plate and photos of her wearing the small plate.

If you will be underweight with a small plate, you can ziptie a couple pinds of lead to the plate in strategic areas to keep you in good trimmed dive position, tou can thread a brick or to on tour cam straps, or there are different pocket solutions on the market.

I would be more concerned with how the plate fit compared to body size/shape and worry less about how much and where you will carry your lead...as any change in exposure suit and a few other factors such as fresh/sea water, or the salinity of the region you find yourself diving in may change how much lead you need.

-Z

I have a 25 lb wing now.
Would an 18# wing work with a heavier set up?

You need a wing with at least enough lift to float your gear at the surface...so an 18# wing is enough if your plate, ballast, and any other gear you are going to dive with is less than 18#.

To be honest, unless you have a strong desire or an express need to spend money on another wong, your 25# wing should be all you need unless you start drysuit diving and need to carry a bunch more lead, which might require a wing with more lift.

-Z

You need a wing with at least enough lift to float your gear at the surface...so an 18# wing is enough if your plate, ballast, and any other gear you are going to dive with is less than 18#.

To be honest, unless you have a strong desire or an express need to spend money on another wong, your 25# wing should be all you need unless you start drysuit diving and need to carry a bunch more lead, which might require a wing with more lift.

-Z
Isn’t the need for new gear always strong?

If a plate is 14” long, would a 13 3/4” STA be ok?
I’m also looking at the Oxycheq minis...

If a plate is 14” long, would a 13 3/4” STA be ok?
I’m also looking at the Oxycheq minis...

Yes as long as both the plate and the sta conform to the industry standard of 11 inches on center for the distance between the bolt holes.

-Z

I ended up buying the Sub Gravity SS plate since they had them in stock again.
I look forward to trying and thanks for the advice!

I ended up buying the Sub Gravity SS plate since they had them in stock again.
I look forward to trying and thanks for the advice!

I think you will be happy with your new plate. My wife was very happy with the improved fit compared to a regular size plate...she was willing to use a regular size plate but it was not really comfortable for her and the waist strap of the harness sat low. The smaller plate was a marked improvement and the product from Subgravity appears to be very good quality....I would not have recommended it if we didn't think is was a good a product. Their price, $94, is very competitive compared to other small size plates too.

-Z

I think you will be happy with your new plate. My wife was very happy with the improved fit compared to a regular size plate...she was willing to use a regular size plate but it was not really comfortable for her and the waist strap of the harness sat low. The smaller plate was a marked improvement and the product from Subgravity appears to be very good quality....I would not have recommended it if we didn't think is was a good a product. Their price, $94, is very competitive compared to other small size plates too.

-Z
I think I will. My current plate is definitely too large. It sits just below my waist and I can reach about 1.5 inches from the top when I reach up and behind my back.
I did order the Halcyon webbing Kit because I like the pliability of it.
I’m not sure if I’ll need to add more lead with the new set up but if so I may just put it on the straps.
I’d only need maybe 2 lbs.
If anything I can put my little weight pockets on the belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom