Looking for a small SS backplate and can’t decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the contact info for the person at DRIS that I worked with...the discussion started on their site's chat feature and then migrated to a phone conversation with email follow-ups...great customer servivce:

Kasia W.
Online Sales
Dive Right in Scuba
24222 Lockport St
Plainfield, IL 60544
815-267-8400

-Z
They can indeed order it for $140.

Another option that is available is this:

Oxycheq Aluminum Backplate - Small Size - Blem

The blem aspect is that they are uncoated aluminum, and John, the owner of Northeast Scuba Supply milled the cam strap slots into the small plates himself.

Because of this he is selling them at a discounted price.

-Z

Another option that is available is this:

Oxycheq Aluminum Backplate - Small Size - Blem

The blem aspect is that they are uncoated aluminum, and John, the owner of Northeast Scuba Supply milled the cam strap slots into the small plates himself.

Because of this he is selling them at a discounted price.

-Z
Too light for what I’m looking for. Would be great for a weight sensitive rig though.

Too light for what I’m looking for. Would be great for a weight sensitive rig though.

Ah yes...I momentarily forgot you are looking for steel not aluminum.

-Z

They can indeed order it for $140.

Wow...I wonder why their price went up so much.

If they are ordering it they will be getting it from Subgravity and they are out of stock your order wont be fulfilled until that status changes.

-Z

The Small Halcyon backplate does not have slots.
Would it be better to use the standard Halcyon steel backplate with my Dive Rite wing or get the small and have to use an STA?

Would it be better to use the standard Halcyon steel backplate with my Dive Rite wing or get the small and have to use an STA?

What is your aversion to using an STA?

I am not a fan of them but that none of my setups require one.

If you are going to shell out dough for a halcyon, perhaps look into a small size freedom plate.

-Z

I use a STA with my small Halycon steel plate single tank as I’m using a Halcyon wing without slots. Using an STA isn’t the end of the world. The STA I’m using was modified by a friend. He poured led into it to make it 10lbs. Between the plate and weighed STA, I don’t have to add a ton of extra lead (drysuit, cold water).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom