Looking for a small octo/alternate air system...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of Force fins but switched to zeagle travel fins as they lie flatter (and probably weigh less).
I'll look into a BP/wing...
My Air2 is 15 years old and should probably be replaced and the new scubapro air2 is smaller. Just researching others.
My Force Fins are flat outside of the pockets designed to hold tee shirts and shorts. :)

I have a set of Force fins but switched to zeagle travel fins as they lie flatter (and probably weigh less).
If regular Force Fins aren't flat enough, then you could try these: SD-1 Military Proof of Concept Fins - Force Fin

They have the same type of foot pocket. In fact, Zeagle likely "borrowed" the concept from Force Fins which introduced it over 20 years ago.

I would not recommend using a combined octo/inflator with the Zeagle Covert BC because it does not have shoulder dumps.

When performing an air-sharing ascent with a combined octo/inflator, it is important to have a shoulder dump. The ascent typically must be performed in vertical trim so that the butt dump on the wing is not usable. The octo/inflator cannot be used to dump air without being removed from the mouth and extended upward. Perhaps you've practiced these ascents with a partner and are comfortable with them. I would not be.

if the goal is to reduce volume, then getting a backplate and wing will reduce substantially more volume than switching to a smaller octopus. Air2's type devices are always going to be bigger IME than a second stage and an inflator. The Flight is probably the best decision for you to simplify servicing and very few regulators are smaller in profile

The Zeagle Covert BC is a back-inflate horseshoe BC that folds down flat.

The Octopus is a piece of gear I don't like to skimp on. I have an Aqua Lung Legend that I feel pretty good about and is on the smaller side. Like tbone1004 says, a BP/Wing will cut down on volume because it lacks all the extra padding of a standard BC and lies flat in your bag. I also save a lot of space with Force Fins that measure only 17".
This ^^^, your secondary should be as good as your primary , or just buy another the same as your primary 2nd stage.
If the manure hits the propeller you want the A team not the B team, you get my drift?

Actually you can eliminate the need for a shoulder dump by using a pull dump. A pull dump is important for comfortably ascending while on an air2 type device anyway.

The point is, with a combo inflator/octo, you need a shoulder dump. Apparently most modern BC units have them (I don't know, gave up on a jacket long ago...)

Can the Molle on the waist band be removed and a simple harness used on the Zeagle convert BC ?
It is 2.27 Kg dry with it. molle-Carousel.jpg

I'm not yet convinced that a backplate system will fold down flatter or be lighter than my zeagle covert BC, which weighs in at under 4 lbs (actually less as I custom cut stuff I don't use off of it including trimming the inner plastic horseshoe airbag). I remove the airbag and roll it separately, and the zeagle rolls up very tightly indeed.
As far as Force vs zeagle fins, I have both, I prefer the zeagle for travel (although they are more of a pain to remove on a ladder). They fold flatter, which makes packing easier. I trimmed some off the edges of both my Force and zeagles so they will fit better in the hardcase. I've been tempted for some time to make my own fiberglass fins. The Zeagles are no longer made, I found mine on ebay.
As far as the air2; well, I need to replace my existing Scubapro Air2, and their new Air2 is much more compact. The arguments about not compromising are moot IMHO as I wouldn't use an octo that wasn't highly recommended and well liked. I'm just asking which is the smallest one that you might recommend.
Regarding the shoulder dump; valid point, and I appreciate it. However my partner and I have been diving for 20+ years with this kind of equipment and are very comfortable with it. I'll take that into consideration. As a general rule we never exceed the 60/60 limit under any conditions - we are not thrill seekers, we are older divers who just like to dive and look at fish and coral, between 30-60 feet is ideal, and it's been years since I felt the need to go deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom