Looking for a small octo/alternate air system...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody,

Wondering if someone can recommend an octo/alternate reg that is very small? My old ScubaPro Air2 is quite big and I see that their new Air2 is much smaller, but seems like others are too. Anyone know what the smallest one is? I'm very big on diving using ONLY carry on.
Currently, I have a Zeagle covert BC which packs up very small, an Apeks Flight regulator and mouthpiece, which are very small, a set of Zeagle Travel fins which fold down flat, and a D9 computer and transmitter, all of which let me bring all my dive equipment as carryon in two cases (Pelican 1500 and 1510). With skins, 3mm booties and a paralenz camera, I can fit everything in that I need... but I'm always looking to make more space.
So if anyone can recommend a smaller alternate air system (and or any other item that would reduce my luggage volume) I would greatly appreciate it.

if the goal is to reduce volume, then getting a backplate and wing will reduce substantially more volume than switching to a smaller octopus. Air2's type devices are always going to be bigger IME than a second stage and an inflator. The Flight is probably the best decision for you to simplify servicing and very few regulators are smaller in profile

The Octopus is a piece of gear I don't like to skimp on. I have an Aqua Lung Legend that I feel pretty good about and is on the smaller side. Like tbone1004 says, a BP/Wing will cut down on volume because it lacks all the extra padding of a standard BC and lies flat in your bag. I also save a lot of space with Force Fins that measure only 17".

The Octopus is a piece of gear I don't like to skimp on. I have an Aqua Lung Legend that I feel pretty good about and is on the smaller side. Like tbone1004 says, a BP/Wing will cut down on volume because it lacks all the extra padding of a standard BC and lies flat in your bag. I also save a lot of space with Force Fins that measure only 17".
I have a set of Force fins but switched to zeagle travel fins as they lie flatter (and probably weigh less).
I'll look into a BP/wing...
My Air2 is 15 years old and should probably be replaced and the new scubapro air2 is smaller. Just researching others.

Hi everybody,

Wondering if someone can recommend an octo/alternate reg that is very small? My old ScubaPro Air2 is quite big and I see that their new Air2 is much smaller, but seems like others are too. Anyone know what the smallest one is? I'm very big on diving using ONLY carry on.
Currently, I have a Zeagle covert BC which packs up very small, an Apeks Flight regulator and mouthpiece, which are very small, a set of Zeagle Travel fins which fold down flat, and a D9 computer and transmitter, all of which let me bring all my dive equipment as carryon in two cases (Pelican 1500 and 1510). With skins, 3mm booties and a paralenz camera, I can fit everything in that I need... but I'm always looking to make more space.
So if anyone can recommend a smaller alternate air system (and or any other item that would reduce my luggage volume) I would greatly appreciate it.
I believe this is as small as it gets: Air Buddy Prices and Ordering

I've never used one, and so I'm not "vouching" for it. On the upside, it's much cheaper than an Air2.

Personally I think I'd rather stick with my air2.

Back
Top Bottom