Looking for a single phase 10-15hp motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua Marine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking to replace my 3 phase motors with single phase.

Anybody got one or 2 for sale?

I take it you don't have 3-phase service? If you do, why would you want to change them? I don't have any motors, just wondering why.

Aqua Marine:
I am looking to replace my 3 phase motors with single phase.

Anybody got one or 2 for sale?

You might want to consider VFD's or variable frequency drives. Some of these can take single phase input and provide 3 phase output. These are not "Phase a matics" or "RotoPhases" phase converters.

Look here http://www.strikertools.com/Striker_VFD_controller.htm

This type of control offers several advantages, and allow you to retain the original 3 phase motor. Big single phase motors tend to be rare and very expensive.

This example is just one of many sources.

Tobin

I will check them out, Thanks.

I did look at rotary phase converters but they were twice the price of what I could get a new single phase for.

I apreciate the help!

Get a new system a 15hp single phase will cost more than a new compressor system and you will need 60+ amp service, or so. That's why things move up to 220 volt and then 3 phase, so you don't need this type of motor or service.

If you have sufficient electrical service, a VFD with single phase input and three phase output should be ~$600-1000.

Tobin

Hey guys thanks for all the advice, I think I am just going to replace the motor with a 7.5hp single phase. It was running off a 3 phase 7.5 to start with but I wanted to bump up the power if i was going to go with single phase, but it doesn't look like that will be a economical option.

Thanks again, lots of good suggestions, big help!

I picked up a single phase 7.5 at Grainger If you know some with a commerical account it would be less than $450. I paid $300 3 years ago. Also if you have a 3 phase panel it's just a jumper wire that is required to turn it ito a single phase panel.
Do not raise the HP for a compressor that is made for a specifc size.
Muzz

Thanks Muzz!

I have a Grainger near by and will check them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom