Looking for a place to crash in Monterey on Saturday 9/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for courchsurfing.com. I've used it on five continents with great success, and hosted some awesome folks. You can't be picky, though. Or particularly concerned with your privacy. There are several dive related groups on CS, so you may want to check there.

It's generally polite to give some advance notice as people in desirable destinations during busy times tend to be swamped with messages like "Oh no, I'm in town with nowhere to stay! Can I stay at yours?"

+1 on the Vets Memorial Park. Good campground other than the Ranger with his agressive German Shepherd he runs off leash (which almost bit me once)

Hot showers and generally nice conditions. Watch out for the racoons.. the place is crawling with them at night, so keep food out of your tent.

Get there early on Friday, Sat to get a spot. It's all first come first served, and they always fill up, 3 day maximum stay.

Do you guys know what time the park opens? It doesnt say on the site. I could swing by there before we start our dives on Saturday.

They don't ticket for sleeping in your car. Lots of people bring trailers or motorhomes too. I've never seen a tent. That might be a problem. The bathrooms close at around 8:00 PM, but they open them again REALLY early. A lot of instructors sleep in the lot. I have heard of doors being knocked on a couple of times by police who then tell you there is no camping allowed. You just say you're not camping, you're waiting on your dive buddy to do a night dive or something, and they leave you alone. I've slept there a couple of times myself, with no issues.

They don't ticket for sleeping in your car. Lots of people bring trailers or motorhomes too. I've never seen a tent. That might be a problem. The bathrooms close at around 8:00 PM, but they open them again REALLY early. A lot of instructors sleep in the lot. I have heard of doors being knocked on a couple of times by police who then tell you there is no camping allowed. You just say you're not camping, you're waiting on your dive buddy to do a night dive or something, and they leave you alone. I've slept there a couple of times myself, with no issues.

This really is a badly kept secret. The RVs are obvious enough, if people start pitching tents the police will be harassing everyone. Sleep in your car and no one will bother you.

I stayed at Hostel in Monterey during my OW years ago. Cheap and clean. Door open at 5 pm and it was first come first serve at that time don't know if that is still the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom