Looking for a Night Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSJ

Reaction score
I'm headed to Bonaire on the 22nd, and am looking into buying a night dive light instead of trying to rent. I'm told the resort is full and I don't want to risk not being able to get one, and if I use it several times I've gone halfway to paying for one.

I did some reading, and while the HID torches look nice, I fear for the bulb on the trip. My LDS sells the Ikelite RD8 and it looks like a solid unit that won't break the bank, however one of the reviews I read reports it has as small and splotchy hot spot.

Does anyone have experience with this light? Is it a problem?
What other recommendations might you have, keeping in mind I don't have alot of time to wait for mail order.

David

You should have 2 lights on a night dive. 1 for backup. Ikelite makes a PC Lite which is a very nice bright light and inexspensive. Leisurepro.com has them for a good price. Have fun on your trip!!

I have had a UK 800R and it has been a wondeful light. 2 bulbs so if one blows you just switch to the other ( yes you should still have a back up in case of a total failure ) but the nice thing is you can get a low watt and high watt combination. low watt is nice on a genaral night dive, it is supposed to be dark and some of these super retina burning lights take all the fun out of a "NIGHT" dive. enjoy your trip:bonk:

I had a Super RCD8 and really liked it; that is, until I made my 50 watt halogen canister light! :D

I have the day/backup light already: A ten year old UK Super Q4 Lite, for which I just bought two bulbs.

And I have a tank light as well, a "DiveResQ(tm) C-Light(tm) PN3353"

What I'm looking for is a main night light. I'm doing my AOW which will include a night dive, but I'm also thinking I might want to dive several nights. At Bonaire, it's just a walk to the dock.

I could try to rent, but I've been told the resort is full and rental equipment might be tight. I've got everything else, so I figured it would be prudent to have my own main light.

I won't be using it so frequently that rechargables make sense. From what I've read standard batteries are best for occasional use.

One of those HID torches look like the cat's meow, but I don't want to have to baby it so much and spend all day recharging it for the next night. I looked at the FAQ and it appears if you drop the battery pack on the deck it should be replaced, and any fall will cost you a bulb. I don't think it would be idea for my trip.

I'm thinking something like the 8-Cell Ikelite would do the trick. One set of alkalines should last for the whole trip. I like the way it seals, but I want to know what people think of the beam pattern.

David

That UK light I mentioned comes with a removable plate on the bottom so that you can use either alkaline or rechargeables. I'm brutal on my light dropped it a few times getting back on board and no problems (yet):)

I have one of the UK1200's. It's an 8 D cell light. You want to stay away from the pistol grip lights if you decide to to wreck or cavern/cave diving due to having to hold reel & light in same hand. I like my 1200. It's about 10 years old & I have beat the crap out of this light & it's still kickin'.

I've used my Q4 as a primary on a few night dives (good viz, undemanding dives). It has a very focussed beam so you can clearly see what you are looking at without ruining the night ambiance. Its really relaxing.

For more light I have a UK SL6. PLenty of light in a robust package. I've heard the SL4 gives a similar light but fits in the pocket a bit better

The cannister light is on the way but I see this more as a genaeral purpose light in murkier conditions

Based on my limited timeframe I bought the Super8 without doing as much comparing as I normally would. One thing I noticed when performing a leak check is that it is both fairly negative and very tail heavy which might make it less than ideal to use.

Has anyone dealt with such a lack of balance on a light?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom