Looking for a new mask w/purge...need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Oceanmaster and love it. Was certified with it and learned to clear it the "non-purge" i.e. old fashioned way. If you have a fully flooded mask it is much easier to clear it without using the valve. If you have less than half of it flooded then the purge is handy.

Those with purge masks should always keep the traditional skills up for this reason.

Scubamax

QuoVadis:
(I was taught NOT to rely on the purge valve and i dont) to each his own i guess!!

Indeed.

I guess my reasoning is that a mask is a mission critical piece of equipment to any dive. Without it you absolutely can kill yourself. Just sit back and imagine the ways...

Although I do carry a spare at all times on a double ender in my left hip pocket (along with a package of Koolaid mix) I figure why add a failure point that should be unneccesary anyways with a properly fitted mask.

Just my reasoning. I like to simplify.

The purge valve is usually on the bottom of the mask. The pressure on the top of the mask is appreciably less than that on the bottom.. so if you exhale with a purge valve mask. the air will escape through the top (of course letting water in). In this fashion it will work exactly the same as a non-purge. The purge still requires you to push on it to clear.

jonnythan:
The purge valve is usually on the bottom of the mask. The pressure on the top of the mask is appreciably less than that on the bottom.. so if you exhale with a purge valve mask. the air will escape through the top (of course letting water in). In this fashion it will work exactly the same as a non-purge. The purge still requires you to push on it to clear.
In a roughly horizontal position, you merely tilt your head up slightly and exhale gently - a purge mask will clear (at least those I've tried) without the need to apply pressure to the forehead part of the mask. Try it in a pool - it works just fine. That said, I do not have a purge mask, but one that fits. I have buddies with facial hair that do favor the purge variety however...

I have found purge valve masks to be unnecessary. Seems like a good idea for a new diver but in reality it is not needed. Just my opinion. I think Oceanmaster makes one that may work if you decide you need one.

This thread is from 2003 so the OP probably found their mask by now.

Back
Top Bottom