Looking for a new laptop...any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, that's not helpful at all.

Ok, I have a big HP paperweight with a wide screen. The company spent $800 to fix it the first time. Just do a search on the net for (insert make and model) problem and see how many people are howling about poor reliability and defects. The IBM Thinkpads were always reliable and I've had good luck with Sonys over Dells and HPs. They're more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

dell have a new small one - XPS M1210 with only a 12" screen....very mobile....not the cheapest though

KidK9:
Thanks for the suggesitons. Anyone own an HP?

I do, I own a HP Pavillion zd8000. Which brings me to my advise:

Having decided on a big powerful large screened laptop I have come up with the following theory, the lighter your laptop and the longer the battery life the more useful your laptop will prove to you in the end. While you will have to sacrifice performance it will make your laptop experiences much more enjoyable.

Oh and try to get a dual core processor and as much RAM as you can fit in it. These will probably decide the laptop's longevity.

But hey I am no expert, just an idiot with a laptop preference.

TheRedHead:
Ok, I have a big HP paperweight with a wide screen. The company spent $800 to fix it the first time. Just do a search on the net for (insert make and model) problem and see how many people are howling about poor reliability and defects. The IBM Thinkpads were always reliable and I've had good luck with Sonys over Dells and HPs. They're more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

My HP laptop had to be sent back quite a few times, but in their defense everytime was dealt with super quickly and very curteously. On the 4th time the same problem occurred they replaced the unit and I haven't had a problem since.

check out the sony vaio vgn-t250p. tiny little thing the size of notebook paper but has all the bells and whistles you could possible want. built in dvd-cd burner. small but very nice screen. fair price and reliable. tom

KidK9:
Thanks for the suggesitons. Anyone own an HP?
I've had to fix a lot of HP's and Compaq's - I say - get a Dell

Try http://outlet.dell.com for really good deals on factory refurbs

I own 10 refurbished dells, and they work great. They also ship right away. I just got my most recent purchase in 3 days (Latitude D820).

What I didn't mention is I have an IBM and swear by it. I always get the extended onsite warranty but then again, I run my business from my laptop. The IBM's are some of the thinnest computers on the market and have a great battery life. One of the things that drove me away from the Dell was the quality of the hinges on the lid, along with the flex associated with the lid (I have a Dell also). It can be touched on the outside of a Dell and will show up on the LCD inside...not thanks, my IBM is nice and solid. IBM's also come with XP Pro, it is not an upgrade, which I had to have.

What kind of mouse/joystick/touchpad you like, may also play a part in which brand you purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom