Looking for a new drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USIA suits can be custom cut for next to nothing. If you get one custom cut, it will fit how you want it to fit. The suits are primarily used in the PNW where they are made so they typically cut them for heavy undergarments, but that doesn't mean they can't make a proper cave cut suit.

You're asking about too many variables. You need to decide on one of three options first
Light-PET suits like the TLS350/Rofos etc
Heavy-USIA Techniflex, DUI FLX, etc etc
Neoprene-DUI CF200, Pinnacle Black Ice etc.

Once you pick one, then we can help narrow it down. Keep in mind the membranes on the breathable suits will only last so long. The crinkling they get under a suit squeeze damages them and so does moving in general, so while they might sound like a good idea, it isn't a suit that will last 10 years 1000 dives.

I know I dont want a crushed neo suit to heavy since other than local lakes and quarry dives I will be traveling. Why do you say the breatheable membrane will break down? What happens when it does break down? I've narrowed my search to either a Ursuit kevlar or the rofos cave.

the membranes are very delicate and break down over time which will cause them to start leaking. Many of the breathable suits have a disclaimer. It'll still go for 300+ dives, but won't last quite as long as nonbreathables.

RS450 would be my recommendation for travel, I love mine.

Durning research I've not found any problems with the suit having material problems but also can't find any recent reviews either

He was the one who recommend the suit butbif ita only going to last a fairly short time then I would rather but some more money withbit and buy a santi

Back to my delima again the more research I so the more I find bad about all of them I guess now I'm left with the rofos and dui flx extreme. Tbone can you elaborate some pros and cons. The biggest plus for me on the dui is an american based company warranty or repair work should be easier? If I go with the rofos I plan on buying thru dris so would I still need warranty work in Italy if I get thw dris warranty. Does rofos offer custom cut I've not seen that anywhere

Rofos is lighter, FLX is more durable to abrasion but will take 2-3x as long to dry, and weighs 2-3x as much.

It is highly unlikely you would ever send your suits back to the factory. DRiS or Steve Gamble can do seam repairs, zipper/seal replacements, etc etc but if you tear the suit itself you will need a new suit. Nothing the factory can do about that. I don't believe they custom cut, but their stock sizes are pretty good, they are the only suit company that makes an off the rack suit that fits me. 6'3" 52" chest, 40" waist, 32" inseam. The euro sizes tend to be less big around the waist than the american sizes which has always been my problem with the US made suits.

My next suit will be a custom cut DUI CF200X, but that's only because I already have the Rofos. Having had 2 USIA Techniflexes that are similar to the FLX, I see no reason to buy those type of suits again. If I need a durable suit, then I'll sacrifice the weight for the crushed neoprene, and if I need to travel, the Rofos is as good as it gets, especially for the price. $2500 from DRiS for the suit with their platinum guarantee, hard to argue with that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom