Looking for a main light for Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Forsta If you are just starting down the path of technical diving, why do you think you need a canister light at all?

My opinion (just my personal opinion) is that nobody really has a need for a canister light until you get to the point of doing long cave dives. Which means, not until you've gotten trained all the way up to at least full Cave certification.

Deep dives, wreck dives, and cave dives at the Intro or lower level just don't last long enough to need a canister light. There are a number of cordless lights that have more than adequate specs for those dives.

If you are just starting down the path of tech diving, there is a very good chance that, by the time you actually need a canister light, there will be something better available then, for the same or less money. Or you'll be able to get a used light that is current now, for much less money than buying it now, new.

And, any good cordless light that you buy now will serve you well as a backup light once you do eventually buy a canister light.

Hey Scubaboard, Tim from Bigblue Dive Lights here. I'm the owner of the North American distribution company for Bigblue. All Bigblue products that have been sold in the US since 2007 are distributed through our Clearwater, FL office. In the decade that we've been distributing Bigblue, we've had a close working relationship with the manufacturer concerning everything from design feedback to product safety information.

If you have any specific questions about our products, we're more than happy to take your call and discuss any concerns you may have.

That said, all batteries in our current product line have UN 38.3 certification as well as MSDS/PSDS documentation. These documents show that our batteries meet FAA standards for carry-on travel. Please contact us for these documents.

Tim

Glad that has at least been resolved. Still do not appreciate the marketing claims on the lights that bordering false advertising, but at least the UN38.3 certifications have been done. If the batteries are all certified, why do you not have the certifications or any mention of it on the website?

Glad that has at least been resolved. Still do not appreciate the marketing claims on the lights that bordering false advertising, but at least the UN38.3 certifications have been done. If the batteries are all certified, why do you not have the certifications or any mention of it on the website?
Yeah the false advertising is a deal killer unfort.

@Forsta If you are just starting down the path of technical diving, why do you think you need a canister light at all?

My opinion (just my personal opinion) is that nobody really has a need for a canister light until you get to the point of doing long cave dives. Which means, not until you've gotten trained all the way up to at least full Cave certification.

Deep dives, wreck dives, and cave dives at the Intro or lower level just don't last long enough to need a canister light. There are a number of cordless lights that have more than adequate specs for those dives.

If you are just starting down the path of tech diving, there is a very good chance that, by the time you actually need a canister light, there will be something better available then, for the same or less money. Or you'll be able to get a used light that is current now, for much less money than buying it now, new.

And, any good cordless light that you buy now will serve you well as a backup light once you do eventually buy a canister light.

I got a Dive Rite CX1 light a few months ago and dove with it this past weekend. The light and the elastic hand mount was a bit under $200 (I got a discount on it). It will be my primary for a while. It has a 26650 battery with more than 2 hour run time. Seems to be out of stock at both DRIS (not back in until late May) and DGX.

I got a Dive Rite CX1 light a few months ago and dove with it this past weekend. The light and the elastic hand mount was a bit under $200 (I got a discount on it). It will be my primary for a while. It has a 26650 battery with more than 2 hour run time. Seems to be out of stock at both DRIS (not back in until late May) and DGX.

Exactly. That type of light has been plenty for all my tech diving, so far.

I use Xtar D26 lights, though. They have the same output and use the same battery as the CX1. But, they run about $70, or so. And the D26 1600 (which I also use) is considerably brighter and uses the same battery. It runs about $90, I think. If you run it on max brightness, it obviously does not last as long as the other lights that aren't as bright. But, if you run the 1600 on a lower power setting (i.e. the same output as a regular D26 or a CX1), then it does last just as long. Actually, longer, I think, as its LED is more efficient at that output level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom