Looking for a instructor recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all. With 50 easy warm water dives under my belt, I'd like to now take the AOW class. My first thought was to get AOW on my next trip away but someone told me I should get trained under conditions where I live. Makes sense to me.

My OW cert is PADI, but I see no reason to rule out NAUI or SSI; my main concern is getting a really good education. I have a friend who is an active instructor, but he's such a nice guy and since we're friends I'm afraid he'd go too easy on me.

I live in Brooklyn though I suppose all instructors use Dutch Springs for training.

If you know of a really good instructor in the area, I'd appreciate it. Thanks much.

Steve

www.wreckvalley.com

We are holding the first annual AOW NAUI class 24-25 June. Cost are minimal this time only. PM me and do join us at Wreck Valley on line.

If you have a car, the people at Swim and Scuba in Rockville Centre are very good as well.

Thanks everyone. Since I started this thread I spoke to a few divers in the area and they all recommended I get some northeast dives under my belt before I take a class. That I should first get used to wearing a hood and gloves and limited vis and rougher water and cold before I worry about how to use a compass and etc.

Most boat dive sites are advanced, but I'm told there are some nice ones that are novice, by northeast standards. I joined Sea Gypsies where it's easy to find dive buddies and learn what's what so that's my new plan for the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom