Looking for a good warm water setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm tired of renting regulators that don't function properly when on vacation. What recommendations do you have for a complete setup? I don't need top of the line but want something that is reliable. Will only use for about 30 dives/year. Two one week vacations. Thank you.

Where do you travel and what's the budget? Does that include an octo? What does your local shop service?

I've been very pleased with an oceanic SP5 first stage and oceanic Alpha 8 second stage. 120 dives on them and have been very reliable and comfortable.

a couple of thoughts...
A) what do you mean by "regulators that don't function properly"?

B) since these are for travel, you may want to consider weight. I have no idea how much weight variation there is among regs, but I would be happy to have much lighter luggage. The first stage of our current regs is a monster piece of heavy brass that gets offset a bit by having plastic second stages.

Ringing an old bell I know, but you should consider an old Conshelf 21......I don't know of any other regulator that is better at being infrequently used with looong periods of storage that will just keep on working without the need for tweaking and servicing.
It has more than adequate performance.
The best value used buy.
You can pick up a full set with octo and gauges on eBay and have it properly serviced for less than $200. It will not need another service for at least another 5 years.

Warm water destinations. Mostly Caribbean. Local shops will service all brands. I need an octo w 2 regulators and psi guage. Thanks.

I take down our XTX200. Sure it's a bit heavy but never any problems. The Apeks Travel Flight line has had issues for instance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like my SP Mk2 with a R295--with a(yell'er) alpha 8 as octo---pd like US200(& it had a console with a compass on one side & a Veo 100 computer on the other side too boot) for whole setup(bought alpha 8---for 50 bucks--separate & put it together--here on SB).........

Sweet little 'system'----heck @ those prices could treat things as disposable..:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom