Looking for a good point and shoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canon A570 & housing will get you into it for under $500 and take some great pictures. I don't know the Canon housing depth rating, but most of the mfg. housings are 40 meters, which is the limit for rec. diving. If you want to go deeper, get an Ikelite housing but you'll be pushing your $600 limit. Later, you'll want to add a strobe, which is going to about double your initial investment.

Also, to get a wide angle lens for that camera it will cost you more than the camera and the housing put together.

Get a Sealife Camera. Then get a W/A =$100, Then get a strobe $300.

Great deals.

A lot cheaper and from the few remarks that I've heard quite capable are the Intova IC700 or the IC800 for what you'll save on one of these new you can add an external flash and set of filters and still have less invested than any of the cheapest Cannon, Casio, Fuji, Olympus, Nikon, Sealife or Sea & Sea models.

What constitutes a good point and shoot? Unfortunately, there is no current P&S that covers all the bases. In truth there has never been one that covers all the bases, but there have been some that were very, very close. My list of wants goes like this;

Affordable
Raw file format
Manual settings
Quality glass
Wet change close and wide lens ability
Low light focus ability
Decent shutter lag

It's possible that there was only one piece of quality glass that was sold in affordable P&S's, but most P&S consumers base purchases on megapixels, not optical brightness, so Oly dropped the extra expense and now the only quality glass is in detachable lenses. :shakehead:

If you move forward with underwater photography and post dive processing with Photoshop (or others), raw file formats are the only way to go. Many of the reasonably priced Canon's can be hacked to record in raw, but I prefer to shoot raw with a camera designed to shoot raw.

TTL/Auto photography is fine for non-photographers, but a true photographer uses manual camera settings and manual strobe settings, at least on occasion. The ability to save some pre-programed settings is also very nice!

28 mm lenses are only 35 mm underwater due refraction, and that is not wide enough for many underwater situations. Looking back at the history of underwater photography; 20 mm (100 degrees) is the most popular compromise between quality glass and affordability. If there isn't a 20/100 wet change option for an underwater P&S, how can it be considered good?

Low light focus goes back to quality glass I guess, and that's why modeling lights exist. Shutter lag is annoying, but there are incredible images out there from cameras with significant shutter lag; with practice an astute photographer learns to anticipate better. Manual settings help, and setting the camera to continuous burst can be a work-around, especially if the slave still fires in continuous mode!

I tell my friends that ask to find a Canon S70 and Canon housing on eBay. If they have to have ttl, then something in an Ikelite housing is appropriate (but more than twice the cost). I don't recommend anyone get an Oly 5050 off eBay, 'cause you might drive the price up when I get MY next one! :D

i just purchased the DC800 from Dive-Right-In. Hopefully it will be here in time for my trip next week and it will performa s good as promised...

For $600 you can pick up a new Casio Exilim 10 MP camera, 40m Casio housing, and a copy of PhotoShop to clean up your pics. Casio makes great intuitive full feature cameras that you pop in your pocket or into the housing. Easy to use, fast uploads, and typically less $ than the Canons and Sonys.

i just purchased the DC800 from Dive-Right-In. Hopefully it will be here in time for my trip next week and it will performa s good as promised...

I keep my promises:14: You just make sure to send me some of those pics for our onlie photo gallery!:D

For $600 you can pick up a new Casio Exilim 10 MP camera, 40m Casio housing, and a copy of PhotoShop to clean up your pics. Casio makes great intuitive full feature cameras that you pop in your pocket or into the housing. Easy to use, fast uploads, and typically less $ than the Canons and Sonys

This being the case, I have a Casio Exlim 500, I have just started doing U/W photography with it, have a few decent shots, but I certainly see the need for more lights, but I dont want to spend a fortune, Do I just need a 'focus light' or should I go strobe? If strobe, what is a decent strobe that won't cost an 'arm and a leg'? And finally, If I move onto another more advanced camera, will the strobe be able to handle it?

Back
Top Bottom