Looking for a good point and shoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mauser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need something that will go down with me at least 120' but still be stylish enough that I can take it with me above the water and not look like my camera belongs on a moon landing. Something in the 6 to 10Mp range would be nice.

Any suggestions?

How much would you be willing to spend? I had the same concern so I bought a Cannon PowerShot and found a housing for it. I love the flexibility of having a basic, pocket sized camera with an underwater housing. Ikelite makes housings for most cameras made. My works great and is good to 200ft. If you want to check out there website for comparable cameras, it is IKELITE Underwater Systems

Good luck and happy diving!

I guess my price limit would be about $600. Thank you mister president I feel very stimulated.

I just came back from a trip to Bonaire and I have the Canon SD550 with the Canon housing. Let me say that my dive buddy for the entire trip had the Sony T100 with the underwater filter and I was so IMPRESSED with his camera that I am thinking about getting rid of my camera.

You just couldn't compare the pictures taken by my SD550 with his. The color, sharpness, lighting were so much better than mine. His macro pictures were amazing!!!

600 barely pays for a housing if you are going with a separate camera and housing setup on the higher end. How serious of a camera are you looking for? is it just going for point and shoot, or are you planning to get serious into UW photography?

The sealife DC600 or DC800, it comes with a housing. When on the surface it looks just like any other digital camera. Has a UW setting to improve UW photos. 6MP-8MP 400-500 bucks.

The Intova IC600 or IC800, comes with a housing, again out of the housing it looks like just another digital camera on the surface. Not as much bells and whistle as the sealife. 6MP-8MP, 150-300 bucks

Last edited:
I shoot with Sea&Sea cameras and get great pics. They are compact, easy to use, and you can expand your system in the future. I agree with others that $600 is on the low side for a camera and housing, $1000 would be a better price point. I now use the DX-1G and really enjoy that camera. You can check my pics in the "my gallery" link to see results. The Fiji pics were taken with a Sea&Sea 8000G and the Galapagos pics were taken with the DX-1G. You might find a great buy on ebay. Eventually you will want an external strobe, wide angle lens, etc, etc. Be warned that underwater photography is a black hole that will suck up your resources :). Email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you have any questions.

Regards,

Bill

I think $600 is a good price range for your first camera. Come on!!! You don't want to buy an amazing camera when you still have buoyancy issues and are running into things. I am not saying you have those issues but many people do.

Or any other Sealife camera. Come on over to the Sealife forum and ask all the questions you want.

Back
Top Bottom