Looking for a good ENT physician who understands diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On our Discover Dive several years ago, I had a wonderful time, but my hubby's ears wouldn't equalize and he ended up with painful ears for some time after that.

Since then, he hasn't been willing to try again. He also has trouble with his ears when he flies, so it seems something is wrong.

But before just giving up, I'd like to give it every chance. Can anyone refer me to a good ENT physician who understands diving? The closest large town is Spokane, but I'd be willing to drive to Portland or Seattle in order to get someone who really knows their stuff.

Thanks!

love2godeep:
On our Discover Dive several years ago, I had a wonderful time, but my hubby's ears wouldn't equalize and he ended up with painful ears for some time after that.

Since then, he hasn't been willing to try again. He also has trouble with his ears when he flies, so it seems something is wrong.

But before just giving up, I'd like to give it every chance. Can anyone refer me to a good ENT physician who understands diving? The closest large town is Spokane, but I'd be willing to drive to Portland or Seattle in order to get someone who really knows their stuff.

Thanks!
PM sent.

If someone else hasn't already pointed you here I recommend it.
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/

Particularily watch his Streaming Video Lecture
"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"

Read the article "Middle Ear Barotrauma: A tutorial on prevention of Ear Squeeze"

If that doesn't do it then he's available in S. Seattle. He's one of the best in the area.

Fritz Merkel
President-Marker Buoy Dive Club

Yes, this video is excellent!

I spoke to Dr. Kay on the phone. He seemed like a nice person, as well as knowlegeable, and he's willing to work with my hubby. One little problem.... no motivation on the SO's part for a number of different reasons. I can understand his viewpoint, especially since he hasn't gotten "hooked" on diving like I have.

Thanks to each of you for your help. I have not totally given up.... just almost.

Maybe your husband didn't care for diving and the ear pain is a good reason for him to not dive again. If you get the ear issue taken care of, then he would have no reason to not go back into the water. Talk to him and see if there's any other reason. Maybe he's not even really aware of it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom