Looking for a Good Dive Destination in So FL or Keys for Last Half of July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've actually dove with Rainbow Reef several years ago, August of 2011, on a trip to Key Largo. It wasn't bad and there were only 5-6 in my group each day but it was a little more hectic with several groups on the boat. Not bad, just average. We stayed at the Holiday Inn next door to the dock so it was a short walk and easy ride to most of the dive sites. We hit French Trench, Benwood Wreck and Molasses Reef (Winch Hole and Aquarium) on two days of diving. If you are just getting your AOW, you should enjoy it.

Only 926 miles from Bowling Green, KY to Jupiter, FL. Stops in Chattanooga, TN to pick up my daughter then on to JAX for a day or so the on to Jupiter, FL. Might be a long drive back!

Just got a flyer in email for Horizon Divers (same dock/canal as Rainbow Reef) for 3 night, 4th night free at the Marriott Courtyard.

Looks like my dates are July 18-25. I'll keep it in mind.

not so convenient with horizion divers beginning JULY 1st if your staying @ the marriot courtyard, holiday inn, key west inn or marina del marr. they are vacating their operations in port largo and moving to MM106 and garden cove marina. info on their latest newsletter/website,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Yes, looks good. I'm going to have to see what we are planning to do and see what works out. Haven't blown bubbles since this time last year!

Thanks

My wife is on me to plan a trip but I've been so busy I haven't had time to look at anything. Our daughter is living in JAX now so she'd like to visit her while we're out. I'd love to get some diving in with a good operator some where, probably south Florida but any place with an excellent site to dive isn't out of the question.

My daughter is also certified and we are generally comfortable in the water, dove Key Largo, Mexican cenotes, Cozumel, Great Barrier Reef and Hawaii. Would prefer to avoid a cattle boat and will probably want to rent everything as I hate traveling with lots of luggage and gear.

Looking for suggestions.

We lived in South Florida for over 30 years (now Mexico) and have many many dives off the Palm Beach/Broward coast.

Here's my suggestion :
- check out Captain Tony and his Island Hopper Diversity out of Deerfield Beach
- if you want to rent equipment visit Force E about 2 miles up Federal Highway from Tony's dock.
- your wife can visit any one of the great beaches in the area while you are out.
- the diving in the area is easy with only a slighly stronger current when the tide changes.
- see if you can hook up with Kirsten and let her take you out. She is a genuinely nice person and you will enjoy her.
- don't be afraid of mini-lobster season. All the crazies are out from midnight until dawn. The reefs are a little crowded for the first trip out (day 1) but the afternoon trip (and day 2) is very different. Tony would take you off the beaten path anyway.
- here is a tip even very few locals know - if you should happen to have a 'catch' see if the Flannigan's restaurant in Deerfield (by the pier) will prepare your catch. They used to - but things change over time. I'd give them a call and ask to speak to a manager.
- we enjoy staying at the 'bridge hotel' at the Boca Inlet in Boca.

Just my 2 cents.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom