Question Looking for a dive shop recommendation AOW with cavern (Florida/Cancun)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to see if I can include a cavern dive as part of AOW.

From what I saw in Mexico when I was there for full cave in August, the cenote recreational dives are a two dive thing. That seems to be the case from reading posts here. A cenote dive guide has to be minimum of an open water divemaster and must be full cave certified. There are no requirements that guides be cavern/cave instructors. A guide is going to have up to three divers total.

You would need to find an AOW instructor who was also a cenote cavern guide, who was willing to do private dives. It would not likely be cheap.
If you do a cavern dive as one of your five AOW dives, your instructor needs to be a Cavern Instructor, and can have no more than 2 students. Also, one of the standards is:
If entering a cavern, limit the dive to within the light zone and within 40 metres/130 feet from the surface, vertical and horizontal distance included.
The cenote tours I've been on/witnessed likely violate this restriction.

I agree with @Marie13. Doing a single cavern dive as part of the AOW course sounds very unusual, if it's even possible at all in Mexico (for the reason @tursiops stated). If you want to try a cenote dive, just do that. Take the AOW course separately.

From what I saw in Mexico when I was there for full cave in August, the cenote recreational dives are a two dive thing. That seems to be the case from reading posts here. A cenote dive guide has to be minimum of an open water divemaster and must be full cave certified. There are no requirements that guides be cavern/cave instructors. A guide is going to have up to three divers total.

You would need to find an AOW instructor who was also a cenote cavern guide, who was willing to do private dives. It would not likely be cheap.

I think your best bet is to take a dive trip to Coz, do your AOW, then do cenote dives as part of the trip, but not AOW.
Ah, this makes sense why I have had a harder time finding AOW with caverns as one of the specialty options. Thanks for educating me on this. I'll probably do as you suggest then and look for a cenote guided tour as something to do as well, rather than part of AOW.

If you do a cavern dive as one of your five AOW dives, your instructor needs to be a Cavern Instructor, and can have no more than 2 students. Also, one of the standards is:
If entering a cavern, limit the dive to within the light zone and within 40 metres/130 feet from the surface, vertical and horizontal distance included.
The cenote tours I've been on/witnessed likely violate this restriction.

The AOW instructor also needing to be cavern instructor is the part I missed. Thanks.

I expected standards would likely be violated, but wasn’t sure of the details.

A lot of people commenting here without actually giving any advice or just being plain wrong. You can take AOW and do the cavern specialty as part of the class. I did this in my AOW years ago and it's what got me into cave diving today.

If you want a FL-based shop recommendation, PM me. I can't speak for Cancun.

A lot of people commenting here without actually giving any advice or just being plain wrong. You can take AOW and do the cavern specialty as part of the class. I did this in my AOW years ago and it's what got me into cave diving today.

If you want a FL-based shop recommendation, PM me. I can't speak for Cancun.
What do you think is wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom