Looking for a dive charter in Philly Sept 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrengle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So got a few guys that are interested in doing some diving on Thursday September 20th for our day off from tour in Philly. Can anyone point me towards a charter, or shore diving, and a dive shop for rentals? We tried to go in Chicago, but due to our pyro truck flipping on the highway that day off got cancelled for us...

Have you ever dove in cold/dark/low vis/current kind of conditions before? If not, I'd advise skipping the boats and heading to a quarry. Dutch Springs is a 80-90 muinute drive from Philly and makes for a lovely day trip. There's also Bainbridge which is similarly distant.

Another alternative would be to do a shore dive in Jersey. Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - Wreck Valley has more info.

If you are experienced in NJ type water (drysuit, potentially limited vis) - then I would check with the Gypsy Blood or Independance II.

Otherwise - Dutch is a good option.

GSK I've done a few dives in San Diego off the coast in some colder water (7mm suit) temp was in the upper 50's. Strong surge, good vis, but a bit dark at 100 fsw. Low vis I've done plenty in my home quarries in Ohio. The other guys I have no clue.

Trying to avoid the rental car aspect since we're all on a tour buses, so something local ish, that we could do a car service or cab for would be a lot better for us. But Dutch Springs sounds interesting. Is that close to Scranton PA too? We have a day off there too, and I know for a fact that there isn't much of anything to do in that town.

Thanks guys!

GSK I've done a few dives in San Diego off the coast in some colder water (7mm suit) temp was in the upper 50's. Strong surge, good vis, but a bit dark at 100 fsw. Low vis I've done plenty in my home quarries in Ohio. The other guys I have no clue.

Trying to avoid the rental car aspect since we're all on a tour buses, so something local ish, that we could do a car service or cab for would be a lot better for us. But Dutch Springs sounds interesting. Is that close to Scranton PA too? We have a day off there too, and I know for a fact that there isn't much of anything to do in that town.

Thanks guys!

Dutch is what you want - its actually great, for a quarry.

Its in Bethlehem PA - between Phila and Scranton. You will probably want to get a rental car - a cab will kill you and likely cost more.

If you go form Phila - there is a dive shop on the way north called DIVERS DEN LANSDALE. Paul has wetsuits (2 piece 7 mils) and all the gear you need including tanks. If you go form the North (scranton) - then I dont have a recommendation, but I know there are a few shops in the Dutch area that are good.

Your getting there are a good time. Water temps are warmer and weekdays are much less crowded than weekends.

Sounds like you'd be ok off Jersey as long as you were cautious.

Dutch will likely be more fun for that short a trip though.

Regardless you're going to be renting a car. There's no local diving in Philly sadly--despite having two sizeable rivers.

Lehigh Valley Dive Center is on Route 191 about a mile north of Route 22 and only about a mile-and-a-half form Dutch Springs. I think you can rent a full set of gear including 2 tanks for $52. Great dive shop with a very professional staff. And there are a lot of different things to see at Dutch; helicopter, airplanes, trolley, crane, boats, fire engine, lots of largemouth bass, palimino trout and koi. And you can hit 100 feet deep too. Great place to dive and work on skills. And you don't have to worry about your dive trip getting cancelled for lack of enough people or high winds off the shore.

---------- Post Merged at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:15 PM ----------

So got a few guys that are interested in doing some diving on Thursday September 20th for our day off from tour in Philly. Can anyone point me towards a charter, or shore diving, and a dive shop for rentals? We tried to go in Chicago, but due to our pyro truck flipping on the highway that day off got cancelled for us...

If you go mid-week to Dutch Springs, you'll have the place almost to yourself. Probably only about 20-30 divers rather than the 300 or so on Saturdays & Sundays. Try Lehigh Valley Dive Center for rentals (610)746-4018. Only about a mile-and-a-half from Dutch. Only a little over an hour out of Philly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom