Looking for a dive buddy for Thailand in Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. I live in Gwangju, S. Korea. My buddy cancelled for a trip we have planned to Koh Tao. I'd found a 6 nights/12 dive package for $240.

http://www.save-money-diving.com/index.php?pageid=service_info&locid=koh_tao&servid=thkoh_6_n_00

This looks really good to me. Free Nitrox is included, night dives are available and the dive shop lookd good.

If you have any info about Planet Scuba or are interested in joining me, please respond. I'll be available for February 3 to 17. I'd like to include additional travel around Thailand in the trip. I'm not a drinker and am not interested in spending all non-dive time in a bar. It's a once in a life time opportunity and I want to make the most of it.

I dove with Planet Scuba on Koh Tao in 2001. I had heard they went out of business. Guess that info was wrong. I enjoyed my dives with them and met some nice folks. However the rental gear was terrible. I had to return my BC twice before I got one that didn't have so many shreds in it that I couldn't find the arm holes. Also had a first stage go out on a rental reg. Check the equipment before you board the boat.

I went on to Koh Phi Phi a bit later. Loved it there, too... and the rental equipment was much better (but the dives cost 2X more).

Planet Scuba is a large diving operation/retailer with branches in Bangkok, Ko Tao and Samui. Planet Scuba was started in 1994 in Bangkok by Cesare Benelli and Robin Lloyd as a branch of Samui International Diving School, one of Thailand’s first dive centres and PADI CDC. They are also the distributor through sister company Siam Diving Enterprises for Mares, Dacor and Atomic Aquatics in Thailand. Planet Scuba also runs the “Dive with the Sharks” program at Siam Ocean World aquarium in Bangkok.

Thanks, Vie. I wish I could remember who told me they went out of business. I do hope they've got some better rental gear on Koh Tao.

HappyGirl... hope you find a dive buddy. By the way, I didn't have one on my three month backpacking/diving trip and always got paired up OK on the boats I dove.

I'm trying to find someone to plan the trip together so we can save on the room rate. It's also more fun for me to explore a new place with a sidekick. Thanks for the input It's good to hear from those that have been there.

Happygirl,

Have a look at their website at http://www.planet-scuba.net

There's lots of info on Koh Tao and Koh Samui.

Enjoy your trip.

HappyGirl1024:
Hi. I live in Gwangju, S. Korea. My buddy cancelled for a trip we have planned to Koh Tao. I'd found a 6 nights/12 dive package for $240.

$240 is quite a good price but not amazing. On Koh Tao if you do more than 10 dives the standard rate is THB700. Accommodation for divers is had for around THB200 - 250 a night. I haven't dived with Planet Scuba but the shop I worked for did get their Nitrox tanks filled there. As far as I am aware the free nitrox is only if you do the nitrox course with them, but someone else may know differently. Otherwise it is THB400 a tank.

You could stay with and dive with any of the main operators on Koh Tao for roughly the same money. Some have better diving facilities and some have better resorts. Koh Tao is so flexible you don't need to book anything in advance. Just turn up, walk around and pick the operator that you like the look of. You could get a bungalow that night and dive that afternoon if you wished.

Although personally I would only dive in the morning as most boats go to the shallow, slightly boring bays in the afternoon for OW training. The best sites are done in the morning, unless you dive with someone like Bans. They have a separate student boat, so divers can go to the deeper sites in the afternoon.

Master divers do their diving back to front, doing conf, OW1-2 in the mornings and the deeper sites & OW3-4 in the afternoons as the good sites are quieter in the afternoon.

I have just returned from working as a DM in Koh Tao, so if you have any questions about the island or the dive sites just ask!

I have been to Koh Tao on Apr. 2006, and got my ADV certification at Planet Scuba. It's a nice dive shop with their own Nitrox Mixer. They also can offer you some best accomodation in Koh Tao. If you go there, you will like it. Their staff were very friendly.

Furthermore,
I will go to Thailand on 15/Feb, 2007 and have already booked my flight ticket to Bangkok. I am planning to dive in Similan with a liveaboard.

Chuffy,

I'll be in Koh Samui Dec 15-22, do you think finding place on Koh Tao will be easy that time of year if I stay past the 22nd? I know season begins around then. I can always change my flight as I could stay a bit longer. I already booked at an expensive hotel (pre season rate wasn't too bad) but want to check out other options. I am traveling with a non diving spouse, is there a particular bungalow you recommend?

I plan on doing my DM in summer and wanted to sort out a dive shop and longer term rental options. Koh Tao sounds like a dream come true.

Thanks,

Arizona

Arizona:
Chuffy,

I'll be in Koh Samui Dec 15-22, do you think finding place on Koh Tao will be easy that time of year if I stay past the 22nd? I know season begins around then. I can always change my flight as I could stay a bit longer. I already booked at an expensive hotel (pre season rate wasn't too bad) but want to check out other options. I am traveling with a non diving spouse, is there a particular bungalow you recommend?

I plan on doing my DM in summer and wanted to sort out a dive shop and longer term rental options. Koh Tao sounds like a dream come true.

Thanks,

Arizona

To be honest I'm not sure how busy it will get over that period. During the European summer in August it did get so busy that some people were struggling to find places to stay. Dive customers were ok on the whole as most dive shops have their own accommodation. It also depends on your budget. The cheap 200 baht bungalows get snapped up first. If you are staying somewhere swish you may be ok.

With regards to doing your DM in the summer and where to stay, I would say it depends!!! Personally I would recommend staying away from the BIG dive shops as things are very hectic and some use the DMTs as slave labour. One shop in particular makes it's DMTs work in the bar at night and only let them on the boat if they were doing 'course' related dives. I'm not sure how bar work makes you a better divemaster!

Others give free unlimited fun dives to DMTs for the duration of their course. The same BIG dive shop signed up 96 Open water students in one day and was doing the classroom lessons in their large restaurant. Personally I would find that a bit too much like a machine churning out students.

I trained and worked at a smaller shop that is well respected and quite sizable, but not too crazy. I think it also had the best facilities, but i don't want to be seen as plugging any one shop!!

I would also say stay clear of the really small shops. Doing your DMT is great fun and ideally you want to be part of a good crowd doing the course at the same time. You also need a good but not too large number of students coming through the shop. That way you get to assist plenty of different instructors and on plenty of different courses. I knew one DM that did her course at a small shop where she was the only trainee!! How dull. I was one of about a dozen. You make great friends that way.

Where you would stay would depend on which dive shop you were with.

Nearly all the boats leave from the piers in Mae Haad. I lived in Mae Haad as it was easier to get to the dive shop in the morning. Mae Haad is also quite quiet at night which helps when you are living there. However if the dive shop is in Sairee along with it's resort and social scene, you may want to live up there.

You can book long term rents very easily. Just ask & look around, then speak to the landlord and you can move in the same day if they have an empty bungalow. If staying in Mae Haad, a room / bungalow with air con, hot shower, TV & dvd player, plus maybe a fridge can be had for 7000-8000 baht a month. Cheaper ones without air con, tv etc can be had for 4500 - 6000 a month.

There are lots of signs for the guesthouses and you can usually just inquire within.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom