Looking for a dive buddy for Thailand in Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arizona,

High season is an understatement, the Xmass period will be full in both Samui and Koh Tao. As Chuffy pointed out, a bit nicer place may be easier available than the cheap places.
Since you're on Samui as of the 15th, why don't you take a day trip to Koh Tao and see what's available?
What is your budget for a room?

In the meantime, have a look at our website http://www.planet-scuba.net we have shops in both Koh Samui and Koh Tao and can cater to any of your diving needs/courses on both islands.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Chuffy,

So which dive shop was it? I am going in December and will be able to scope out the situation for the summer. I agree that a larger factory type operation is not ideal. I am hoping to find a good outfit where I can keep on track towards becoming an instructor.

Thanks,

Arizona

Arizona,

At the Planet-Scuba website, you can find information for both Koh Samui and Koh Tao about IDC courses. On Samui it's called Samui International Diving School and on Koh Tao it's Planet Scuba.

Each of the shops has it's own PADI Course Director.

Arizona:
Chuffy,

So which dive shop was it? I am going in December and will be able to scope out the situation for the summer. I agree that a larger factory type operation is not ideal. I am hoping to find a good outfit where I can keep on track towards becoming an instructor.

Thanks,

Arizona

Arizona,

I did my DMT and worked at Easy Divers. I am thinking about going back to do my IDC with them next year. The Course Director there has a 100% record and as I already know him it makes sense for me.

I don't have any personal experience with the following shops, these are just observations regarding size not quality!

The BIG boys in Koh Tao are on the whole, Bans, Budda View, Coral Grand, Big Blue. The next tier of shops that have >1 boat but don't seem so big are, Planet Scuba, Crystal Divers, Asia Divers, Dive Point.
The next size down are shops that just run the one boat are shops like Easy Divers (best boat on the island in my opinion, one of the fastest and has really good entry and exit points. The skipper always gets good positions on the mooring lines too!! One of the only shops to have their own pier as well. No boat climbing or long tails!!) Phoenix divers, Master Divers, Seashell, sunshine. I could go on. There are 40+ dive shops on the island!!!

My advice would be to go and look around. If your staying for a while you won't be staying in the shop's resorts. They all charge much the same, so it really comes down to the vibe and T&Cs of the DM course. Some provide free unlimited fun dives, some treat you as unpaid labour. Although work is obviously an important part of training, there is a limit. Until your cert you are still a paying customer!!!!

Just walk around visiting the shops chatting to the staff. Go with who you like!

Hi Happy Girl,

Pity I didnt see this earlier. I will be in Koh samui from the 2nd to the 5th. Would have loved to change the venue and joined up with you. Too late for that now. Will you be in Thailand or have you cancelled your trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom