looking for a Black Rock dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveler218

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be on Maui Dec 5th - 12th and would like to dive Black Rock. Preferably on the 6th or 7th (or both) around noon time. Since my wife doesn't dive I need a Dive Buddy: anyone interested?

There is Maui dive Shop just across the highway from the Kaanapali Golf course, right by Black Rock. If you don't hook up before you are in the area, hang out there and you will find someotne, I'm sure.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a boat dive to Molokini booked with them and was considering a multi-day equipment rental as well. Might just have to try to get a guided shore divewhile I am at it.

If you don't mind driving south, ask to have Sam at Maui Dive Shop take you out on a shore dive. She's an excellent guide (and instructor).

Since this is my first time to Maui, I'm not very familiar with the options. What does "South" have to offer over Black Rock?

By south I mean Kihei and the south Maui sites: Makena Landing, Five Caves, Ulua, Wailea Point..... Easy access, good parking, long bottom times, easy to navigate. (45 minutes from Lahaina).

Black Rock is a nice shallow site so great for extended bottom times, but the hike to the water is a bit of a pain IMO. For Kaanapali/Lahaina area dives, I'd rather dive Airport Beach or Mala Wharf just to avoid carrying my gear as far as diving Black Rock requires.

Sam works on the Maui Dive Shop boats as well as leads shore and scooter dives, and does instruction, all in S. Maui (Kihei/Wailea area).

By south I mean Kihei and the south Maui sites: Makena Landing, Five Caves, Ulua, Wailea Point..... Easy access, good parking, long bottom times, easy to navigate. (45 minutes from Lahaina).

Black Rock is a nice shallow site so great for extended bottom times, but the hike to the water is a bit of a pain IMO. For Kaanapali/Lahaina area dives, I'd rather dive Airport Beach or Mala Wharf just to avoid carrying my gear as far as diving Black Rock requires.

Sam works on the Maui Dive Shop boats as well as leads shore and scooter dives, and does instruction, all in S. Maui (Kihei/Wailea area).

Sounds like it would be great, except I'm staying at the Shariton on Black Rock. I'll have a car and dont mind the drive, so it may be worth checking out for another shore dive.

I will be on Maui nov 30th thru dec 9th. I could dive one day with you. I know Black rock and Mckena pretty well.

Stevve

I will be on Maui nov 30th thru dec 9th. I could dive one day with you. I know Black rock and Mckena pretty well.

Stevve

Steve;

That would be great. PM me and we can work out some details. Where will you be staying on the island?

Robert Holt

We are staying in Kahana, close to you. I leave tommarrow at 3am for a race in Vega$ for a week, so I will get ahold of you when we get back.

Back
Top Bottom