Looking for a advice on a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a stainless backplate, any cheap one will do. That being said you might want to get a long pattern plate. Get a smallish wing for travel, something like an Oxycheq 18lb wing. don’t bother with integrated weights. A weight pouch on either side of the cam band will do. Get a larger wing, 35 or 40lb for cold water dry suit diving. Same same with the cam band weights, put on a weight belt if you need it. The steel plate by itself will make up for some of the extra lead you’ve been carrying around.

The only time a steel plate might be annoying is the travel weight, because it is heavier than aluminum or kydex. I’d rather not have to add weight when traveling so I deal with the few extra pounds.

Personally I have one backplate for singles, doubles, and rebreather diving and only change the wing as necessary. It’s sized for drysuit, and there’s extra tail on the waist band in case I’m diving in something else. The shoulder straps should be loose, so a little extra loose isn’t a problem. The only time I dive a different backplate is double hose, because it positions the can correctly.

I'll throw in my 2 cents

I just picked up a stainless plate for local diving. Before that is used my aluminum plate and it was fine just mean more lead. 6 pound in top trim pockets, 10 in the pockets on the waist belt (XS scuba pockets), and a ss sta.

New setup Sta is going away and being mounted to the ss plate and I am getting an 18 pound wing for tropics. The 38 pound wing I was using worked fine though when I was in Florida. That's going to the cold water rig now.

I guess my point is you can optimize or compromise quite a bit here.

I'm also headed toward BP/W, probably Hollis or OMS because my LDS sells both and I get the employee discount. In Seattle, there are enough shops around you really have options on manufacturer.

I'm shorter and heavier (shoot, I wrestled at 158 in high school, when I was in better shape than now!) but also dive dry. I'm headed towards twin tanks, thus really need the BP/W setup. My Zeagle Ranger can take twin tanks, but the soft back will make them floppy and sloppy. Thus I'll need a steel backplate and a wing with enough lift to get two steel 120s to the surface. I'm thinking 60 pounds. For tropics, I'll use my old BC which I suspect isn't an option for you.

I'd love to hear any recommendations folks have as well!

I currently dive a Zeagle Brigade (Ranger with a smaller 32 lb bladder), which works great in tropical waters. But it would be nice to have something easier to pack and a little lighter weight.

Check out dive gear express. They’ve got many configurations to choose from, especially a good “starter” setup for 300 dollars. You’ll learn a lot in the process of setting up the first one and find things you’d like to change or modify afterwards.

Unless you’re worried about the travel weight I would go with a SS plate. For the wing, if you’re doing just single tank diving, get a new style “long” wing, like the oxycheq, VDH, or mares XR wings, they’re more streamlined. Definitely get a crotch strap.

Also, I would really check out the classified section here. Something like a backplate basically lasts forever, you can save some money that way.

Check out dive gear express. They’ve got many configurations to choose from, especially a good “starter” setup for 300 dollars. You’ll learn a lot in the process of setting up the first one and find things you’d like to change or modify afterwards.

Unless you’re worried about the travel weight I would go with a SS plate. For the wing, if you’re doing just single tank diving, get a new style “long” wing, like the oxycheq, VDH, or mares XR wings, they’re more streamlined. Definitely get a crotch strap.

Also, I would really check out the classified section here. Something like a backplate basically lasts forever, you can save some money that way.

I can actually get a decent deal on the Mares XR plates through my LDS and I do think they look pretty awesome. Just want to make sure I get something that's going to work for me. I know lots of people like Halcyon and lots of people like Dive Rite, which I can also get a good deal on. I know they can get Halcyon but I don't think they stock it......yet. Quick question....what's the weight difference of a SS plate vs. AL? That would be my main concern for travel. Otherwise I'd just continue to pack my Brigade.

And I already dive with a crotch strap. Well, the split saddle strap Zeagle offers, which is MUCH more comfortable than a single strap.

BP/Ws are great because they are practical, cheap, modular and upgradable/customizable. I pieced together a combo three or four years ago based on a 23# wing that was a bargain. I eventually swapped out the SS backplate for aluminum, but I am very satisfied with what I have now.
I agree with drk5036's recommendation to buy a budget package and go from there. I like Dive Gear Express because they sell good gear at a fair price.

...what's the weight difference of a SS plate vs. AL? ...
For my rigs and just talking about the plate only...........5 pounds difference

For my rigs and just talking about the plate only...........5 pounds difference

I'd be curious to see what a "typical" (if there is such a thing) SS BP/W setup weighs as compared to my Zeagle Brigade.

Must have a shoulder dump cos when you go buoyant hose lifting just doesn't cut it

Why is this a "must"? My BP/W has two places to dump, rear dump valve the the power inflator/deflator. I have no issues with dumping air whether I am in the tropics with just a swimsuit or 3mm wetsuit or if I am in my drysuit in cold water. Same is true with diving doubles or carrying a pony bottle on my back. A shoulder dump valve is NOT mandatory nor is it a must.

IIf you stay in Scuba Diving you'll start acquiring a couple of different backplate and wing setups. THERE IS NO ONE SINGLE PERFECT RIG. The Halcyon rig is a good rig. But you'll probably end up buying a 2nd rig in addition to it. Don't worry it's just part of the sport and most do it.

I have 4 BPW rigs. Spearfishing BPW, Cave BPW, Vacation Alum BPW, and plastic plate BPW.

Agreed - somewhat. One can buy a single backplate and simply swap out wings. I did this for years, until I was able to afford separate units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom