Looking for a advice on a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drkcurrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey SB,

I am looking for some advice an making a purchase for a BP/W. I did order a Zeagle Covert XT but I want to return it and go with a BP/W.
  • I am 6'4" 152 lbs(very thin guy)
  • I mostly do rec. diving in the tropics but I live in the Pacific Northwest and want to get into dry suit diving at some point when I can afford a custom drysuit. Tech diving could be in my future.
  • I use a 5mm full wet suit for the dives I have done in the Florida Keys and Hawaii. I tend to get cold quickly
  • I use about 14-16 lbs of weight right now, but that was with a rented jacket style bcd
  • I have done 25 dives so I am still a newbie.
  • I would like integrated weight system for ease of use

I am looking at the Zeagle Express Tech or Dive Rite Transpac system. I know Hollis is popular as well but I am wide open to suggestions
  • How much lift capacity should I look for?
  • Steel, aluminum or soft back plate? Carry on weight is a factor but not a priority
  • Is infiltrator hose something I need to look into or are they all basically the same?
  • No real budget, just want a great system
Thanks
Ryan

I don't really have any advice to give so I apologize for that but I'm soon to be in the market for a BP/W myself and since you already started a thread asking for opinions I figured I could just piggyback. Differences are I'm not as tall but have more "bioprene" and don't wear a 5mm (or any wetsuit for that matter) when diving warm water. And I do have plans to do TDI Tech in the near future. Gotta finish up this DM stuff first and then assist with a few classes before I'm ready, really just to get some additional dives under my belt. Maybe once I hit the 150 mark.

1) 30lb to 36lb wing if you want a single wing to handle drysuit and warm water diving.
2) steel at first. weighted sta a good idea for the drysuit, pick up an aluminum or lightweight steel plate later on if you really need to cut the weight.
3) Vintage double hose sells a good 36lb wing. at 6'4", you may want to call northeast scuba supply and see if you can get a long pattern plate.

You are going to get tons of opinions on this. Be sure to take that into consideration when reading the posts.

There is one system that will work for you and that is Halcyon's BP/W with the cinch harness system. It will give you flexibility if you chose to dive in cold and tropical waters, especially if you want to get into a drysuit.

Wing size will be determined by how much weight you use and tank type. If you are going to use a steel tank, especially if you are going to dive in the PNW, then a 40lb wing is recommended.

If you are going to dive in the PNW I recommend a steel plate for the weight.

The inflator hose is essentially the same as other BCDs.

Last thing I recommend is to get a set up that you can easily get serviced. If you buy an off the wall brand you may have to ship it out for any type of servicing. This isn't a bad thing, but it can be an annoying task.

Good luck.

Wow a simple one
A plate for PNW
A soft fluffy light rolluppable bc for the tropics
Cheap not for name or looks
Must have a shoulder dump cos when you go buoyant hose lifting just doesn't cut it

I see plenty of bc swapping for a different outcome before people learn the one they're wearing

like the 4x4 that's only 15% for the road gets upset when passed by a sports car 100% for the road

@drkcurrent , just as an FYI, a Dive Rite Transpac is not a BP/W. It does not have a hard backplate.

Being a rather tall guy, you might benefit from one of the Deep Sea Supply long plates. Tobin's operation still isn't back up after moving to Nevada, but you can get DSS gear from Northeast Scuba Supply or other online vendors. Good luck!

All my height is in my legs. My torso is only 30" long and my chest is only 34"

Halycon infinity looks good and a LDS is a retailer so I may check that out, but its is on the more expensive side.

All my height is in my legs. .
I don't care what sport (Golf,Tennis, Baseball, Cycling, etc) different equipment does different jobs. A mountain bike vs road bike. Putter vs Driver, Catcher's mitt vs outfield.

If you stay in Scuba Diving you'll start acquiring a couple of different backplate and wing setups. THERE IS NO ONE SINGLE PERFECT RIG. The Halcyon rig is a good rig. But you'll probably end up buying a 2nd rig in addition to it. Don't worry it's just part of the sport and most do it.

I have 4 BPW rigs. Spearfishing BPW, Cave BPW, Vacation Alum BPW, and plastic plate BPW

Best thing about a BPW is if you don't like it, they have Excellent resale value compared to new Jacket BCD's.

I don't care what sport (Golf,Tennis, Baseball, Cycling, etc) different equipment does different jobs. A mountain bike vs road bike. Putter vs Driver, Catcher's mitt vs outfield.

If you stay in Scuba Diving you'll start acquiring a couple of different backplate and wing setups. THERE IS NO ONE SINGLE PERFECT RIG. The Halcyon rig is a good rig. But you'll probably end up buying a 2nd rig in addition to it. Don't worry it's just part of the sport and most do it.

I have 4 BPW rigs. Spearfishing BPW, Cave BPW, Vacation Alum BPW, and plastic plate BPW

Best thing about a BPW is if you don't like it, they have Excellent resale value compared to new Jacket BCD's.

Great point and thanks for the advice. I should focus on getting a tropical rec. diving setup first then. Good call.

Back
Top Bottom