Looking at new steel HP's need advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panulirus

Registered
Reaction score
I have a pair of PST 100 HP's that I think I'm going to give to my wife and replace them with larger steels for myself. It's looking like the replacements will be either Worthington HP 119 or 120's or Faber HP FX 117 or 120's. In the case of Worthington the price of 119's is about $330 and 120's are $375. Fabers are $325 for 117's and $405 for 120's. FWIW, I'm 6'1" 190 lbs. I was wondering which tanks you would recommend for someone my size. The PST's I'm using now are only 24" high like the FX 117 and Worthington 119 and I don't mind the shorter height. As far as the cubic feet they all would be sufficient so It's more a matter of price and comfort. What would y'all do?

I just dove my new Worthington HP 120's this weekend and they were excellent. I went with the 120 over the 119 because of the additional height. I'm 6'1 so the longer tank gives me more options to adjust my trim.

Yep, I would tend to agree that a longer tank like the HP 120 would be a better choice. It will offer you more choices for adjusting trim. Your profile indicates that you are in Florida so you are probably diving in a wet suit, but if you find yourself in a dry suit the additional options provided by the longer cylinder will be even more welcomed. You might think about a high pressure 130 if you are looking for a height compromise.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

Yup I'm in Florida and dive only warm water - 1 mil skin this time of year. I was thinking the same about going with the longer tank even though they cost more.

At your height, I'd go with the Worthington X7-120. Taller and less empty weight than the X8-119. Less expensive than the FX-120 and the Worthington is galvanized vs. painted with the Faber.

I like the Worthington's better also, both for the galvanized finish (which I consider superior to Faber's paint) and for the weight characteristics. Fabers are just too darn heavy!

Thank everybody I was siding toward the Worthington 120's before this tread now I'm even more convinced.

I'm slightly confused, the 119's are 4 inches shorter with the extra width, why would someone choose the longer thinner tank of the shorter fatter tank. I can understand if you were pretty tall person.

I am 6 foot and am thinking about getting the 119cf, I used a friends already and liked it.

long thin tank, less drag, weight centered closer to your back.
short fat tank, better for short folks as it won't drive the reg into the head, or beat up the knees.

I have both the 7x100 and the 8x119, and a 5'2" wife. She loves both of them but prefers the 7x100 as she gets ost of her O2 through her skin. At least she doesn't seem to breathe much and has never surfaced with the 119 with less than 1500 psi in it, after using it for 2 dives.

mkaug:
I'm slightly confused, the 119's are 4 inches shorter with the extra width, why would someone choose the longer thinner tank of the shorter fatter tank. I can understand if you were pretty tall person.

I am 6 foot and am thinking about getting the 119cf, I used a friends already and liked it.

The short tanks can be quite head heavy compared to the longer tanks which are able to spread their weight out over a longer distance. If you are tall, the short tanks can put you quite head down (especially in doubles).

However, if you are short (like me :) then the 120 almost seems to drag on the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom