looking at drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd,

My advice is to first determine your budget, and whether you are a standard size (off the rack) or will need a custom fit. Some manufactures will charge A LOT more for a custom fit, while others are more reasonable. For example, I required a custom fit, and ended up going with a Northern Diver CNX for less than half the price of a DUI custom.

I myself have a CLX450....about $2K with undergarment...in signature series...and i love it!!....one thing to remember and clarify with DUI....their made to order series is not...a custom cut suit...but infact they take your measurements....and use the closest pattern size to make your suit...mine came a bit big around the middle....and was at first leary until i started diving RI in March....and the extra room gave me what i needed for alot of extra undergarment!!...the suit is virtually indistructable!!...one more thing to take into consideration.....in a custom suit when they say 6 weeks they mean 8.....but all in all i would buy from them again...just my $.02

Originally posted by scuberd
I am currently looking into dry suits, and will soon buy my first one. Is there any advice out there that can help me?
Drysuits make excellent economic sense when amortized over the life of the suit expressed in dives/dollars...

Drysuits make excellent economic sense when the rest of diving expenses are amortized over the many extra dives you will be able to do because of extended season and comfort...

Spending a bunch and getting a good suit maximizes this effect...

Custom cut is good if you are a non-standard size but you might find that one off the rack fits better that a custom.

My opinion: Try the suits on at your LDS and buy the one that fits well from them or have them measure you and order through them. If it doesn't fit when it arrives make them redo the order.

I had planned on getting another suit - a custon cut suit... and was debating between another Andy's trilam and a DCI trilam. I did not get good dealer service even though I have spent a bundle in the last few years at this dive shop. I went to another LDS and decided to try on the DUI 450 trilam... I liked it except for a very slight mobility restriction in scratching the middle of my back with my left hand. To get a perfect fit would require a custom cut suit with no guarantees that DUI would not end up making me a bag.

I went ahead and tried on a CF200 and it fit perfect... but I didn't want a CF200.... so I left and thought about it. I went back and talked to them about DUI's method of *making custom suits* and decided that I couldn't find a better fitting suit than the CF200 right off the rack.... in fact if I had DUI make me a suit to order it probably would fit as well. I also thought about the man eating barnacles in D.P. I decided I could put up with the CF200 shortcomings. :wink:

So that is what I ended up getting. I still have my ultralight Andy's and will use it as a back up or whenever I want something that will dry quickly. The CF200 will be my main suit.

BTW... the front entry CF200 cost $1750 off the rack and it will probably last longer than I will.

Get a quality shell suit with a custom fit. Spend the bucks right the first time. I use an Abyss Pro Kevlar TX and love it. I would look at DUI as well.

Mike

I, also have been looking at dry suits. I think the DUI is a great product but it seems over priced. If it is possible to trust a dive shop, I know a large shop in San Diego that is going to drop DUI because of service problems. That's DUI's front/back yard. I expect to buy a Whites this spring for about half the price. And don't get sucked into $400 worth of underwear.

adios don O

I just bought my first Drysuit. I bought the Viking X-treme from Bob3. He's a dealer who is on the board. I looked at a lot of drysuits, both new and used. Everyone who had the Viking swore by it. The deal was too good to pass up and I can't wait to try it out.

Good luck with your search.

Ty

I just started using a CE200 and while its an off the rack and fits great its not so much 'self donning' as 'self daunting'! Its one of those cases of people almost saying under their breath...'you really need someone to help you'. I can get into it myself but its difficult! I think the better contour of a rear shoulder zipper is definetly worth looking at (maybe next time). Meanwhile I'm having fun figuring this thing out. (I think):livid: :arrow: :psst:

Originally posted by Joe R.
I just started using a CE200 and while its an off the rack and fits great its not so much 'self donning' as 'self daunting'!
Just exactly what problem are you having Joe?

Are you putting your left arm in first?

Yes...Its a bit of a reach to get the zipper over the shoulder. Friends say its easier with help. Logical. I suppose it gets easier with practice. (like when you break your feet in to new shoes?)

Back
Top Bottom