Looking at 1st canister type light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For that price range, you could go with the HOG MORPH 1000 system. Canister, Spot Head and cabe.

Later, if/when you upgrade the light, you can put the spot head onto a body and use it as a backup, get some video heads (and second cable) and use that as a lighting system for Video (or really lighting up the caves).

_R

For that price range, you could go with the HOG MORPH 1000 system. Canister, Spot Head and cabe.

Later, if/when you upgrade the light, you can put the spot head onto a body and use it as a backup, get some video heads (and second cable) and use that as a lighting system for Video (or really lighting up the caves).

_R

That looks like a sweet setup but looks like it was discontinued September 2016.

rare to see them up for sale, but again, what are you gaining with them other than extended burn time? For the price that they went for, unless you need those video lights burning on high for 2 hours at a time, it really isn't worth the hassle of the canister. If your dive times are exceeding an hour where you need the lights on high, then you can justify it, but even when we cave dive, the backup lights with single 18650's are perfectly fine for video since they are on medium most of the time.

Get this light with a goodman glove. Fenix SD20 Diving Flashlight with Rotating Magnetic Ring - CREE XM-L2 U2 / XQE Red LEDs - 1000 Lumens - Uses 2 x 18650s or 4 x CR123As It has good penetration and will last two dives easily. For video on a budget or as a backup get this. Nice beam spread. Fenix SD11 Diving Flashlight for Underwater Photography - Rotating Magnetic Ring - CREE XM-L2 U2 / XQE Red LEDs - Neutral White - 1000 Lumens - Uses 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123As For a straight backup get this one. Fenix SD10 Submersible Diving Flashlight - 930 Lumen Output I don't like the tail twist switch as much but it is less likely to turn on in your bag which is the only gripe with the other two. They (SD20 and SD11) are great to turn on and off in the water though. I remove batteries before packing them in a suitcase.

This charger is awesome. Others work too but this one is a joy to use and will charge anything. XTAR VC4 4-Bay Charger - 14500 - 16340 -18350 - 18500 - 18650 - 26650 You will need a 2amp 5 volt usb wall adaptor. They used to sell one at Mtnelectronics but only have a 1amp now which is ok for their 2 bay charger but not for the 4 bay. Easy to find the wall wart and you may have one already.

This is the best battery on the market at the current time and will give you more time than the cheaper lower capacity versions. Avoid any battery that has fire in the name as they are the cheap chinese versions with bad quality control. This is the best protected cell I can find at a great price. Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh

Spend a little time learning about Lithium Ion and how they differ from older battery technology. Candlepowerforum is a great source of knowledge.

I am looking for a cave capable lights, too. Was thinking about Ammonite system (Prime or Radical). Now, however, I gravitate toward Big Blue TL3100P Supreme. 3 hours at 3100 lumens to 30 hours at 310 lumens. It is compact and no hassle with the umbilical. What else one can want from a light? And it is in your price range.

I can want the light output to be constant, regardless of the battery condition....
We Test Lights | TL2800P Test and Review
We Test Lights | TL4000P Test and Review
These aren't that specific light, but are indicative of what all of the BB lights do over their burn time.

I can also want the light head to be much smaller and easier to use for extended time on the trigger of a DPV or when held out ahead of me...

I can want a light where I can get a high quality battery for that I'm not concerned about exploding on me. I don't know of any reputable manufacturers that are making 32650 LiPo's right now. Only the ones with "fire" in their name, and I wouldn't bring any of those into my house

That burn time at 3100 lumens is not possible. Theoretically, that battery is capable of 22wh. If it truly burned at 3000 lumens for the full burn time of that battery, it would only be able to do it for 45 minutes. That is making a lot of generous assumptions, including knowing full well that none of Big Blue's lights ever produce their quoted light output as well as maintaining what lightout they do give you. For 3 hours burn time on that battery, the most it is going to give you is an average of 700 lumen. For the $450+ they want for it, I'd just as soon buy 3-4 high quality backup lights that will give me a bit more light output for about 45 minutes each and swap them over as needed.

I wouldn't look at the Ammonite personally. For a light with those specs, I would just as soon get a couple of good high quality backup lights and swap them out every 45 minutes. Save a boat load of money and get comparable light output.

Back
Top Bottom