Lookin to get a new rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered one from B&H photo to put into rental on the boat. I picked up the camera, padded case (you have to search the site a bit, they had one with a free case that didn't show on all searches), the Oly housing, a 1 gig card (be sure to get the "H" model if you intend to use RAW), a cr v3 (or something like that) rechargeable battery and charger and shipping for a bit over $525 with a $50 rebate coming from Oly after I mail that off. It shipped yeasterday, my wife ordered a camera from them a few months back and it was here in Hawaii 4-5 days later.

You probably are up on this already, but check for firmware updates once you get the camera, apparently there was one a couple months back that'll greatly increase the number of pics youcan take with rechargeables.

I figure I'll put the thing into rental, and if I get no takers I'll still have a pretty nice, small camera to pocket in case something unusual happens by on a dive.

Have fun,

Yeah I've been looking at these as well. B&H $209 & buydig.com $189 [both after rebate which is good if purchased before 6/30/06], Housing $189, needs a memory card and crv-3 battery and charger as friscuba said. Those are the best prices I've found in a couple weeks of searching. What gets me is the refurbs sell on eBay for $220-250 ?!?!?!?!.

shark.byte.usa:
about the same amount as your camera and housing combined maybe more, can you use your old strobe?

I really hope so, but nothing worth doing is ever cheap. And here I thought I was saving money by trying a non-car related hobby.

I've bought several cameras and housings from B&H, great service and quick shipping. I highly recommend them.

B & H Photo and Video

usmc4x4:
What about a strobe? How much more am I going to have to pony up to get some color?

Scubatoys has a Bonica digital strobe, with tray and arm, for $265. One of the best deals I've found so far, and I'm still looking....

Bonica Digital Strobe

Firefyter:
Scubatoys has a Bonica digital strobe, with tray and arm, for $265. One of the best deals I've found so far, and I'm still looking....

Bonica Digital Strobe
I'd be interested to know how this works, price is hard to beat, also heard the Sunpak G-flash[not advocating this site, just wanted a picture/description] is a inexpensive ($199 or so) flash that someone has actually used with the SP-350.

shark.byte.usa:
I'd be interested to know how this works, price is hard to beat, also heard the Sunpak G-flash[not advocating this site, just wanted a picture/description] is a inexpensive ($199 or so) flash that someone has actually used with the SP-350.

You might PM mle_osu about the Bonica, and get her thoughts on it. I'm pretty sure I read where she bought one last year. As for the Sunpak, there are a couple of threads on the board about them right now. I believe there's a design flaw in the battery door that's causing some problems. It's too bad, I really wanted to try that one out, but I think I'll wait til they iron the bugs out.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom