look what i found crawling around the coral rocks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon

Reaction score
i believe it is a bearded fireworm.... can someone give me a positive ID on this creature,...
Picture_0032.jpg
[/IMG]

If you want a positive ID, touch it!

I think it looks like what you said. Leslie knows for sure, although fireworms may be beneath her.:wink:

It's definitely a Bristle Worm AKA Bearded Fireworm. IMO, the most dangerous creature in the ocean and the one I fear the most. Don't touch it, even in jest.

archman:
If you want a positive ID, touch it!

I think it looks like what you said. Leslie knows for sure, although fireworms may be beneath her.:wink:
no thanks...lol it looked dangerious i caught it took it home yesterday and then released it today...while reading about what it could be glad i used a net.... don't need hand of fire...:confined: :doctor:

Walter:
It's definitely a Bristle Worm AKA Bearded Fireworm. IMO, the most dangerous creature in the ocean and the one I fear the most. Don't touch it, even in jest.
thanks walter... i was using instinct when i caught it... so touching it was not an option... i had to take home and get a better look at it... then released it the next day...

My professor knows a fellow that stuck one under his nose, so he'd have a "mustache". That must have been quite a sight.

It's worse than a mere burn. The burn is bad, but not as bad as a Man-O-War, for example. The mark will stay for several months, if memory serves, about 6 - 8 months. OTOH, the allergic reaction could possibly kill you.

So I'm a bit ignorant here - What exactly happens when you use one of these guys as a mustache (or when you touch 'em anyway)?

Actually, it is possible, although highly unlikely, to pick one up without adverse consequences. Around 85 or 86, a young lady showed one to me that she was holding in her bare palm. I don't know how she picked it up without getting stung, but she did.

S. starfish:
So I'm a bit ignorant here - What exactly happens when you use one of these guys as a mustache (or when you touch 'em anyway)?

They sting you, similar to Fire Coral, but about 5 times as intense. The bad part is the pain in the center of the chest and the difficulty in breathing that follows 5 - 10 minutes later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom