Looe Key Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanconstant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,

Has anyone dived with Looe Key Dive Center? They run a very reasonably priced
3-tank trip to the Adolphus Busch and shallow reefs, but they take up to 45 divers and snorkelers.

We are staying in Marathon, but we like to do at least one dive around Looe Key.

Thanks for any advice.

Alan

I did dive with Looe Key Dive Resort in 2001 and it was ok. The dives were in shallow reefs, not more that 40' in depth. They did have a number of people on board (snork. and divers). The circumstances seemed a little hurried. What I mean is that you dived for 45min and you had to be back at the boat regardless and then you travel what seemed to be not that far away and you were getting back into the water. Its just seemed like you could have swam to the next dive spot. All and all it it was ok

is that the only operation you would recommend?? seems that 45 min is not much, when it is shallow, and you have 55 min at least in your tank/ there are three couples going down that way in may, for 3 days, we do not want a cattle boat. and would like to do a wreck . any other suggestions?? thanks

alanconstant:
Hey All,

Has anyone dived with Looe Key Dive Center? They run a very reasonably priced
3-tank trip to the Adolphus Busch and shallow reefs, but they take up to 45 divers and snorkelers.

I dove with them during the Underwater Music Festival. We had a good crew, and they took good care of us. But... this dive was at one location. They tied off to a mooring buoy and stayed there all day. We leisurely dove all three tanks. They cooked hot dogs and sold them for $1 or something like that.

What I didn't care for was their passenger accounting system. You give up your c-card when you sign in, and they give you a wrist band with a number on it. When you get back in... you turn in your wrist band and they give you back your c-card. I didn't care for that, but it works.

I thought the people at Looe Key Dive Resort were wonderful. While packing, we inadvertently left my camera bag in the room. They called us immediately, but unfortunately... we didn't get the message until we got home. They mailed it to us. I'll definitely dive there again.

Al

If you are looking for a smaller boat, try Innerspace just a little down the road (MM 29.5). They go on 2-tank AM & PM trips on a 6-person dive boat. They charge $64 per trip.

www.diveinnerspace.com

J.

I used them last September. They are "OK" at best. The dive captain is a little squirrely and I sure wouldnt bet on getting one of those hot dogs b/c he cant count too well how many people raise their hands and ask for them. I wouldnt dive with them again, it was lame.

Another thumbs up for Underseas.I take my own boat but we spend a lot of time tied up close to them and they seem to run a tight ship.

Be aware that during weekends when it's warm it is so clustered there that we refer to it as "Waterworld"as it looks like the community from the movie on the horizon. The early trips or weekdays are the best time to avoid crowds.Night dives are offered too,a really cool dive.

I have only ever snorkeled at Looe Key. I wouldnt want to dive there with all the people. Can anyone tell me - how is the reef looking since that jack***** from Lauderdale ran aground on the reef about a year ago?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom