Looe Key Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh:
What about the Tiki Bar? Is it still the only place in the Keys you can't smoke?

Well, you certainly could smoke there on 5/17 and 5/18. I hope that place hasn't changed, because it apparently was quite the local watering hole, and a great place to stop in for a beer, and the food was good and inexpensive.

I will most certainly let you know if I've been premature in my judgement but there is nothing that has come out of there in the past few days that makes me think the place is likely to improve. I really, really don't want to get into specifics because I know far more than I should say, but let me assure you that I would not have posted anything if I felt that it was "transitional" vs. "done".

Rachel

Hmm... any update on this place? Family will be in the Keys in January and already has some reservations booked to stay here. I don't know how easy it would be to change that, but I'll definitely be looking at other dive operations.

biscuit7:
A dive shop manager that can't read tank markings, an owner that has never been in the dive business,....

A new captain was brought in who's never been around divers and had to ask the mate how to find Looe Key.

These are not people that know the Keys, diving, and certainly not diving in the Keys.
R

Well that's good enough for me and my bag full of nickels to go elsewhere! I work WAY too hard to spend my Precious Off Time with an outfit who moves in takes over and brings there own green horns with them.

Picking outfits to dive with in the keys is hit or miss anyway. There are enough Dive today never see them again dollars that an outfit can slaughter the sheep in lieu of shearing.

If you feel strongly enough to accept the libel ity of bashing them I hear ya loud and clear.

We booked a room there a few months ago. After seeing the poor condition of the room and realizing that we were going to hear the band playing until midnight, we cancelled. I have to say they were very good and did not charge us for the room. We dove with them the next day and the boat was crammed over capacity with divers and snorkelers. We would not dive with them again.

The same thing has happened again in the past few weeks.
* I just stopped working at Looe Key*
The captain during the week is excellent.. (Captain James) and the mates during the week are excellent as well, (Jason and Gramn) and once you get onto the boat, it is the best trip I've been on in the keys.

It is not their fault that the manager of the place isn't doing an "excellent job".

And yes, you can smoke at the Tiki Bar now, and yes.. it is the local hangout, so it can get pretty crowded.

The same thing has happened again in the past few weeks.
* I just stopped working at Looe Key*
The captain during the week is excellent.. (Captain James) and the mates during the week are excellent as well, (Jason and Gramn) and once you get onto the boat, it is the best trip I've been on in the keys.

It is not their fault that the manager of the place isn't doing an "excellent job".

We are schedule todive midweek but I am concerned because I have been told we are the only 2 people scheduled to dive and that they will cancel if they don't fill the boat (presumably to a profitable level). I am VERY apprehensive having read what I have on here. Thoughts?

We are schedule todive midweek but I am concerned because I have been told we are the only 2 people scheduled to dive and that they will cancel if they don't fill the boat (presumably to a profitable level). I am VERY apprehensive having read what I have on here. Thoughts?
I say go for it, Captain James is excellent, and so are both of the mates during the week, they run an excellent trip, just the management isn't the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom