Longer Life Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen an ad for 1200mAh batteries for a sealife DC1200 to use as a replacement for the Sealife batteries which are only 700mAh and almost never make it through two dives. Is there any reason not to use them? (Note that essentially all pictures on a dive are shot with the flash and I use pictures not only for "art's sake" but also for fish ID so on a couple of 50 minute dives we are talking say 100 photos. Standard sealife batteries are inadequate.

If they are cheap off eBay or secondary Amazon seller you will be more disappointed in them than the originals most likely. I have equipment to test the capacity and I've tried a LOT of inexpensive phone and camera replacement. None make it to 3/4 of the original, most only get to about 1/2, and some are worse. Most have a shorter life.
I've tested well used 2 year old original batteries that were still way better than brand new replacements off eBay. Pure crap.

One thing that seems to be true is that if the battery claims to have a whole lot more capacity that the original, for sure it will have a whole lot less.....I guarantee it. Complete Chinese marketing BS.

If they are cheap off eBay or secondary Amazon seller you will be more disappointed in them than the originals most likely.

+1. If it's not sanyo it's probably not worth buying and if it is, it may be counterfeit. :(

It is from scuba.com. They do not give the manufacturer. Claim they are warrantied but that is not clear either.

Well if you get a spare battery that's cheaper than the original and lasts for one dive, I don't really see a downside. Other than swapping batteries on the boat.

OK on larger boats. Very hard to keep everything really dry on smaller boats.

Time for a new camera? :wink:

It is obviously NOT a stock replacement based on the 1200mA claim. It will be a disappointment, I guarantee it. Best you can likely do is find a new stock battery but that won't deal with the small capacity.

Time for a new camera? :wink:

I have a 1400, it uses the same battery and it lasts me 3-4 dives -- but I don't shoot that much and I rarely use flash. Or zoom.

The other option is if your battery is old, it may not be holding charge and you'll get better mileage out of a new 750mAh.

It is from scuba.com. They do not give the manufacturer. Claim they are warrantied but that is not clear either.
scuba.com won't give you a refund if you've opened it and found it to be not what they advertised. They only give refunds on unopened items. You might try leisurepro or amazon. I know amazon will give refunds on pretty much anything. Otherwise, if it does not perform, you lose out.

Scuba.com Return Policy

I have a 1400, it uses the same battery and it lasts me 3-4 dives -- but I don't shoot that much and I rarely use flash. Or zoom.

The other option is if your battery is old, it may not be holding charge and you'll get better mileage out of a new 750mAh.
Yep, they do wear out. Sometimes old lithium batteries can be reconditioned like old fashioned NiCd batteries: shoot or video until the battery goes dead, recharge, repeat cycle a couple of times. NiMh and Lithium batteries are touted for not having a memory like NiCd, but they can have develop a lessor memory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom