Long time listener, first time caller.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stpatrick

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings everyone from the land of Oz. Just would like to say hi to everyone, I've been reading the forums for a little over a year now, but have never sent out a thread till now. I am new to the public Safety diving scene but we don't get much action out here. Up until a couple months ago, the only diving I had got to do was recreational, cuz the diver's on our rescue squad was a good ol' boys club. (Kinda confusing).

I'm a member of a Public Safety Dept. as a Vol. FF, which is part of a County wide rescue squad. Then, our new Chief decided that he wanted a Dive team, so...we got a dive team (ok, not in the sence of some of the members here). We need lots of training, i know. I've heard that over and over again. But until we can get that training from professionals, we're still responsible for our area. We're gonna be doing some training, but I need some help. :icon4:

Does any one have training manuals, SOP's, SOG's, anything that I can get my hands on would help greatly!!! I've seen and ordered a couple books off the Internet. But I think info from real departments we do us more good than anything.

Sincerly
Scott Stueven FF/MICT

Stpatrick:
Greetings everyone from the land of Oz. Just would like to say hi to everyone, I've been reading the forums for a little over a year now, but have never sent out a thread till now.

Sincerely
Scott Stueven FF/MICT

Scott,

Glad you decided to participate! We have a very active PSD forum here, with lots of good information and lots of "war stories".

Did you know, by the way, that 98% of the rescue and recovery work in the U.S.A. is done by volunteer teams? They are usually associated with Fire Departments, or Police Departments, but they are still, by far and away, volunteers. (The really lucky ones get paid!)

Don't be shy. Just ask your questions, and you'll get all sorts of answers. Remember, the only silly question is one that is NOT asked.

Hi Scott and welcome aboard.

We use Dive Rescue International and are getting all our members, plus a bunch of others, through the Underwater CSI Course. http://www.bestpub.com/bookstore2.asp?Category=Search/Rescue/Recovery

Keep your SOP, Policy manual or whatever you want to call it simple. Getting to sophisticated can mean trouble down the road.

Good luck getting started and I hope you don’t get busy. Not busy is a good thing in this business.

Read what Rob wrote, good advice. I'm one of the lucky ones. I sort of did it for free but it has always been part of my job. About 10 years ago they decided to give us a "Special Duty" pay. K-9, SRU, Divers, FTO and a few others get a wopping, drum roll, 50 cents an hour. Not shattering to the tax man but it's nice.

Gary D.

Been a while since I checked in over here but if you're still looking I'd recommend getting in touch with these guys for training or anything else you'd like to know

http://www.teamlgs.com/

They have an SOG you can get for $10 which may give you some good ideas and a couple of PSD texts which are probably the best out there with regards to basic PSD ops

I’ve got a dive buddy on the OPPD dive team so send me a message if you’d like some info on what they have working there. Since they have both paid and volunteer fire departments in their city they are probably experienced working with both.

Back
Top Bottom