long term medical studies on divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear Doc, I remember reading an article somewhere about some commercial/pro divers that have a lot of dives under their belts having scarred their nervous system due to the subclinical nitrogen bubbles. I question the validity of that article, still, I am a little bit concerned. Does this really happen? And are there other long term studies done on divers?

The Navy Experimental Dive Unit NEDU has been cataloging data on nervous system damage (there is a staement on the back of the military dive qualification card that requests autopsy results be forwarded)

Long bone necrosis is a confirmed malady that is a result of long term (career) saturation diving (NEDU).

I am not familiar with any such civilian studies.

Jeff

Hello lobbolt :

Brain Lesions and Brain Scans

From time to time, there have appeared in the medical literature reports of studies using noninvasive techniques [usually MRI] to study the effects of diving on the brain. While indications of some areas of damage [or at least areas where there are changes] do appear, their presence is not confined solely to the “diver” group and absent from the “control” group. The mean is thus not particularly clear. Certainly they are not entities brought about by diving if they appear also n the brains of non divers (although in greater numbers).

Anecdotal Evidence

Bases solely on discussions with older recreational divers, it does not appear that anyone has observed any definite change or changes that can be ascribed to a diver that can not be associated with his or her peer of a similar age. It is not clear, therefore, that recreational diving is harmful.

Dr Deco :doctor:

References :book3:

Tripodi D, Dupas B, Potiron M, et al. Brain magnetic resonance imaging, aerobic power, and metabolic parameters among 30 asymptomatic scuba divers.Int J Sports Med. 2004 Nov;25(8):575-81.

Schwerzmann M, Seiler C, Lipp E, et al. Relation between directly detected patent foramen ovale and ischemic brain lesions in sport divers. Ann Intern Med. 2001 Jan 2;134(1):21-4.

Rinck PA, Svihus R, de Francisco P. MR imaging of the central nervous system in divers. J Magn Reson Imaging. 1991 May-Jun;1(3):293-9.

Back
Top Bottom