Long shallow dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My question probably only applies to me. I am in the process of planning with tons of volunteers and sponsors a 48 hour dive in Boston Harbor. I will wear a drysuit etc to deal with the cold water but it is obviously important to me that I don't get the bends. I'm only going to be 10-15 feet deep breathing air for the duration of the dive. Do I need to do a decomp stop. My dive charts say NTL at this kind of depth but is that just becasue they assume the time limit is so long nobody will be able to break it? Thanks in advance.

The various decompression models vary slightly, but the minimum bends depth in somewhere is the low 20' range. In other words, some models say you have an acceptable risk going directly to the surface after days and days at 22', others let you surface from a couple of feet deeper.

15' max depth leaves you lots of margin, and if you want to add a bit more safety margin, simply make your last hour or two a rich nitrox mix.

Thanks.

Hello divebostonforcharity:

The dive at such a shallow depth has only been performed in underwater habitats. This depth is considered safe from DCS. The listing of No Time Limit applies to both scuba and surface supplied diving. With scuba gear, a dive for hours would not be possible unless air battles were sent down. With surface supplied [hardhat or hooka] diving, a diver would come up after hours for reasons of fatigue and to get something to eat and drink. Another diver would replace him on that site.

The references below indicate that Doppler bubbles have been found in shallow/long situations. DCS is not a real concern.

Dr Deco :doctor:

References

Eckenhoff RG, Osborne SF, Parker JW, Bondi KR. Direct ascent from shallow air saturation exposures.Undersea Biomed Res. 1986 Sep;13(3):305-16.

Thirty-four healthy human subjects were exposed to shallow air saturation for 48 hours 25.5 fsw, n = 19, or 29.5 fsw, n = 15 and then decompressed to 1 ATA (0 fsw) in about 2 min. Symptoms included fatigue, limb and joint pain, headache, myalgias, and pruritus. No subject of 19 was diagnosed as having decompression sickness (DCS) after the shallower exposure, but 4 of 15 were diagnosed and treated for DCS subsequent to the deeper exposure. Almost all subjects in both groups had Doppler-detectable venous gas emboli (VGE) lasting up to 12 hours post decompression. Treated subjects had a recurrence of VGE several hours after the hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Only the duration of VGE, and not the VGE score, correlated with symptoms; and only the subject’s body weight and age correlated with the VGE variables. This study indicates that hyperbaric air exposures of this magnitude are not as benign as previously thought.

Eckenhoff RG, Olstad CS, Carrod G.Human dose-response relationship for decompression and endogenous bubble formation. J Appl Physiol. 1990 Sep;69(3):914-8.

The dose-response relationship for decompression magnitude and venous gas emboli (VGE) formation in humans was examined. Pressure exposures of
12, 16, and 20.5 ft of seawater gauge pressure were conducted in an
underwater habitat for 48 h. The 111 human male volunteer subjects then ascended directly to the surface in less than 5 min and were monitored for VGE with a continuous-wave Doppler ultrasound device over the precordium or the subclavian veins at regular intervals for a 24-h period. No signs or symptoms consistent with decompression sickness occurred. However, a large incidence of VGE detection was noted. These data were combined with those from our previously reported experiments at higher pressures, and the data were fit to a Hill dose-response equation with nonlinear least-squares or maximum likelihood routines. Highly significant fits of precordial VGE incidences were obtained with the Hill equation (saturation depth pressure at which there is a 50% probability of
detectable VGE [D(VGE)50] = 150 +/- 1.2 kPa). Subclavian monitoring increased the sensitivity of VGE detection and resulted in a leftward shift [D(VGE)50 = 135 +/- 2 kPa] of the best-fit curve. We conclude that the reduction in pressure
necessary to produce bubbles in humans is much less than was previously thought; 50% of humans can be expected to generate endogenous bubbles after decompression from a steady-state pressure exposure of only 135 kPa (11 ft of seawater). This may have significant implications for decompression schedule formulation and for altitude exposures that are currently considered benign. These results also imply that endogenous bubbles arise from preexisting gas collections.

Thanks. For my dive, I am going to eat and drink from pouches underwater and full tanks are going to be swapped for empty ones by support divers along the lines of Jerry Hall's record setting fresh water dives. Although I basically get what the study is saying, it's a little technical. Can someone give a quick recap of what the study showed. Thanks.

Hello diveboston:

The study showed that, if you are saturated in an underwater habitat, an analysis of the data shows that 50% of the divers will show some bubbles in the heart using a Doppler ultrasound system.

There is no data on DCS in shallow habitats since no diver has DCS to make the analysis. That is really what you wished to hear. :crafty:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Sound interesting spending that amount of time underwater, food for thought have your considered how you are going to pee and defecate underwater in a dry suit and areas of skin that are exposed to seawater for that long will become very sensitive (the old both wrinkles)?

Peeing is through a standard pee-valve. Pooping is not a factor because a carefully crafted diet for before and during the dive will remove my need to expel solid waste. The only exposed skin will be neck up. The inside of a latex hood will be filled with petroleum jelly before being put on my head and covered with a thick neoprene hood. The little bits of exposed skin on my face will become somewhat sensitive but they shouldn't be unbearably so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom