Long Overdue Bonaire Trip Report (May 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everyone, for the additional details about their diving and mosquito experiences at Den Laman. We have dived from small boats before where you have to do a back roll entry (in fact, that's mostly been my experience), so that's not a concern. Rough rides are also not a problem - we never get seasick.

Mr. frog has booties and fins, I've got booties, so it looks like I should go shopping for fins before our trip. What we haven't done is dive together without a DM, but it sounds like this is a good place to try it out. I must say I'm not a big fan of shore diving, but that opinion is based on the limited experience I had during my OW certification in NZ - where a couple of the shore dives were physically quite challenging - before I even got into the water.

I guess I'm suffering from PBA - Pre Bonaire Anticipation. It has been almost a year since our last dive trip (we went to Oman for two weeks and it was fabulous). A family tragedy caused us to cancel our May 2006 trip to the Canaries and to postpone other dive plans until now. We've rescheduled our Canaries trip to this June, as a reward after I leave my awful job and before we start our new jobs, and we're looking forward to a fall trip to Bonaire. And, in the meantime, I'm going to sign up with a hypnotherapist so I can get over my mosquito-phobia ...

Frog, if you aren't into shore diving, you can dive off of the piers of the resorts. The house reef at Den Laman is really nice, it was one of our favorites and definitely the easiest (just giant stride off, or if you are are a giant stride wimp like me, there are stairs too). A lot of the other resorts will let you use their piers too, as long as you check in/sign a waiver. The shore diving guide also gives you a good idea of which sites are easiest to get in and out of.

I don't know what NZ shore diving is like, but it is likely that you will consider Bonaire shore diving to be ridiculously easy if you have any experience shore diving in sporty conditions.

One of the major sites where you either giant stride in or climb down a ladder is Oil Slick at Bonaire. Now, the giant stride is a good deal higher above the water than you may be used to off boats, but I've done it & it's okay.

A buddy & I also giant strode off the pier at Eden's Beach Resort's site, Eden's Rubble.

Shore diving tip; don't put your fins on at first, just your boots. Then walk it; it can be a bit challenging. Then, when you're in maybe 4 feet or so of water, you can put your fins on. Get out the same way. We learned this the hard way in Bonaire.

Richard.

Just back, bunch of us at Sand Dollar, diving with BDA. Been going there for about 12 years, usually with BDA. Once, couple years ago, there was a run on tanks over Easter week. Some "hoarding" by divers with tanks in thier rooms...bad scene. Andre Owner) and company did go to other reorts and "rented" tanks so all could still get wet...a little set back in time, a huge gesture to make the vacation happen!

Did tour Den Lamen units...nice places, clean, IKEA style Scandinavian look, furniture. No noise issues. Even units facing parking, compressor building while running were quiet. Not has friendly has ground floor units at Sand Dollar if you're a diver bringing some/all your stuff back and forth. DL management doesn't want wet stuff in units. I'm OK with small outdoor lockers for off hours diving, and locked up community room...but if you're one to worry, this could be an issue.

Are there cures for PBA besides being there? The Desperado beer just isn't doing it!

Hoa!

Humble older aquaman:
Did tour Den Lamen units...nice places, clean, IKEA style Scandinavian look, furniture. No noise issues. Even units facing parking, compressor building while running were quiet. Not has friendly has ground floor units at Sand Dollar if you're a diver bringing some/all your stuff back and forth. DL management doesn't want wet stuff in units. I'm OK with small outdoor lockers for off hours diving, and locked up community room...but if you're one to worry, this could be an issue.

First time I hear about the issue with taking stuff to room. That can be an issue since the gear room seems to close 'early' and open 'late' and outdoor lockers aren't supposedly too safe. How prissy were they or was it just a request? Stuff should get pretty air-tried on truck, and if one has it in bathroom after nightdive or for an early morning dive, is that really going to get someone's sleeves all burnt? Are the corridors sensitive to water?

My understanding is that they just don't want a lot of water dripping on the stairs to avoid people slipping and hurting themselves. So if you dry your gear as much as possible it should be fine to bring them into the units. They also don't want the seat cushions in the units to get all wet (and smelly), but hanging wet gear in the bathroom should be fine.

We kept our gear in the common gear room and it wasn't a problem, but we didn't do any early morning dives and only 1 night dive (and I think we came back before the gear room closed for the night).

I guess if you want to keep your BCDs and wetsuits in your room, it can be a hassle to be lugging them up and down the stairs rather than the more easily accessible ground floor units at Sand Dollar (which didn't look bad, but I've heard the quality varies by unit so be careful about which unit you get).

piikki:
First time I hear about the issue with taking stuff to room. That can be an issue since the gear room seems to close 'early' and open 'late' and outdoor lockers aren't supposedly too safe. How prissy were they or was it just a request? Stuff should get pretty air-tried on truck, and if one has it in bathroom after nightdive or for an early morning dive, is that really going to get someone's sleeves all burnt? Are the corridors sensitive to water?

There were some drips, not much, and the lady showing us around got a little upset, saying no wet stuff allowed upstairs. I'm sure most of us would use common sense, dry bag it, wait till dry, etc. to try and be respectful. Also sure tiny % will keep management in a knot!

For me, it's the lugging up and down more than wet or not. I've used outside lockers a lot with no issues, but have heard of some problems though I've never had any. Camera stuff, Reg., expensive stuff doesn't weigh much, take it with you upstairs. If they steal a tank, BDA will be mad, but if it was really a BIG problem, would BDA continue to offer outside lockers?

Bottom line...plan a little, enjoy a lot!

Hoa!

Back
Top Bottom