Long hose single tank rec setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In contrast to a number of other posts, I'm 6'2", 215 lb and find a 5 ft hose without any swivel to work just fine for me in a wetsuit. With a drysuit, a 7 ft (which I see you ordered) gets the hose away from the suit inflator.

With the 7 ft, I highly recommend something to catch the loop at your hip (e.g., shears, small knife, PVC retainer, etc). (This in contrast to stuffing a bight into your waist belt.)

I have a set of shears on my left side so I may just move them over to my right if the pocket thing doesn't work out.

I will go against the grain and provide a qualified vote for braided hoses instead of rubber. This if the OP is a traveling diver a full rubber hose set up vs a braided hose rig will be nearly twice the weight and the braided hoses tuck into a smaller regulator bag. I do agree that rubber hoses tend to behave better in the longer lengths but I somehow manage to not notice that my 60 inch hose is braided. My only regulator set that still retains a 72 inch is still all rubber hoses. And it is heavy. For local use or drive by diving via vehicle it is fine, for traveling to resorts and toting it all about, no thanks. Every pound counts, every ounce counts in fact :wink:.

I believe abrasion is another reason some folks shy away from braided hoses. Perhaps that's less of an issue as the OP wears a hood and semi-dry.

Guffaw….you dare be funny on ScubaBoard? Are you mad?

You need to re-focus on bickering, axe-grinding and professing your superiority and faultless dive skills to everyone.

What are you, happy and well-adjusted or something?

The nerve…

You're right Sir, I stepped out of line. I thought we were all friends, but I see the error in my ways. Temporary lapse in judgement, it won't happen again.

I never drag my hose, in fact my hose stowing skills are so great it stows itself. The scrapes on the face of my reg are from a Great White I fought off with my face... that's right, not even my bare hands for this one, I used my face...and still won.

If that is the one I saw a while back it's full of bad information and he admits to no actual experience with it himself

If that is the one I saw a while back it's full of bad information and he admits to no actual experience with it himself

So you're saying Alec would fit right in around here?

Has anybody tried one of the Piranha "Ultraflex" rubber hoses for long hose? How does it compare to standard rubber or braided in that application?

Not Piranha's, but DRIS hoses on a reg package are more flexible than those from DGX. I worry it could easily kink during some air share situations without a 1st stage turret. Sorry, no test results as yet.

I found a long hose (whether 5ft or 7ft) gets linked much too easily with the braided hoses. I use the braided for everything EXCEPT the long hose. Rubber for that.

Back
Top Bottom