DIR- GUE Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking into Fundies, but what's holding me up is wrapping the long hose around the back of my neck. Due to a traumatic experience, that's a non-starter for me. Could I simply tuck the extra length in my waist strap and attach to the D ring as usual OR is the neck wrap a non-negotiable part of the standard?
If you only seek a rec pass maybe….If you want pursue a tech upgrade in the future….highly doubtful.

I was strangled with a hose of a similar diameter.
The only way to be strangled is from the front of your neck. Even the photos you posted show the hose never touches the front of your neck.

I’m sure you could figure some accommodation out, since there’s more than one way to dive
That is not my interpretation of GUE.

The only way to be strangled is from the front of your neck. Even the photos you posted show the hose never touches the front of your neck.
I had a cord wrapped around my neck, to include the back, and it was tightened till I blacked out and this is what you come back with? So deeply sorry my trauma isn't logical.

I regret starting this thread. Can a mod delete it?

How is this helpful? You seems to be making out that the OP is lying? I think the modern term is gaslighting but also known as trolling.

Looking into Fundies, but what's holding me up is wrapping the long hose around the back of my neck. Due to a traumatic experience, that's a non-starter for me. Could I simply tuck the extra length in my waist strap and attach to the D ring as usual OR is the neck wrap a non-negotiable part of the standard?
As you see on the pictures, the hose is indeed around the back of the neck. I understand your experience of (il)logical fright based on previous experiences. Your fright while illogical to most of us, is absolutely logical based on your previous experience. This should not be taken lightly. Please do not heed too much attention to a few of the posters above.

If you for eksample are set on trying to get to technical diving, one of the reasons for using a longhose is to comfortably be able to both share gas, and continue the dive (ie, fulfil decompression obligations).

There is a good thing to being a rational mind as you seem to be. You know the cause of your fright. And you also recognise it to be illogical in other settings than your specific experience. This makes it possible to work with. Luckily. A long hose is possible to work with on your own safe a lonesome. If you want to make the investment of buying a long hose and switching it on your regs, you can sit in your couch at home. Watching tv. And slowly introduce the idea of having the hose in the correct position.
Even under water, no one else but you will put the hose on, or remove it. You will be in control.
I believe you can do it! Good luck.
(And please, I am not underestimating the hardship this can cause. A forumpost is just a very unsatisfying medium to use in this kind of situation)

I had a cord wrapped around my neck, to include the back, and it was tightened till I blacked out and this is what you come back with? So deeply sorry my trauma isn't logical.

I regret starting this thread. Can a mod delete it?
Please ignore the posts that hurt you.

I think you should contact an instructor and/or HQ.

Use this link Contact Us

I wish you the best whatever you choose and so sorry this happened.

How is this helpful? You seems to be making out that the OP is lying? I think the modern term is gaslighting but also known as trolling.
He said the cord was wrapped around his neck and tightened until he blacked out. That can't happen unless the hose was improperly wrapped completely around his neck. The long hose should never touch the front of the neck.

He said the cord was wrapped around his neck and tightened until he blacked out. That can't happen unless the hose was improperly wrapped completely around his neck. The long hose should never touch the front of the neck.
Are you confused about something? I don't think OP said their strangulation came from a long hose setup, they said their current aversion to it is due to the strangulation causing them to be stressed out at anything cord like touching their neck, anywhere. OP understands that the longhose isn't going to be all the way around their neck. That isn't the problem.

.. I think the modern term is gaslighting...
Gaslighting is a term for a very specific behavior, it's not a term for any and all lying or trolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom