long hose length question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen,

You've argued WHAT?

Why do you USE the 7'? Why do you not use a hose of any other length? Personal preference?

It's the six foot hoses that are a pain in the butt to find... thank you LeisurePro.

Well it's been about a week since we last had this type of thread... I guess it was time.

Sorry.. not following you, Daniel.

I use a 7 most of the time but I really don't care. Whatevers handy.

I don't think everyone has to use a 7 and some definitely shouldn't.

Often when this comes up I encourage folks to consider a 40 inch hose... especially if they are'nt using a plate and wing. Again, the important thing is donating a known working primary with a quality second under the chin.

What I do disagree with is your original comment that the 7 isn't recommended for open water. It would be better that you can say that you don't recommend it... and then, we can disagree on that.

I also disagree with the suggestion that somehow the length of the hose affects whether or not you can establish and maintain control; should that control be necessary.

Stephen: This seems to be more about a certain persons personal crusade rather than the actual usefullness of the 7' hose for ow type diving :)

You post just makes way too much sense :D

My point is that Hogarthian embues the thought that if it isn't NEEDED, don't bring it. I can't see the NEED for 7' hose for OOA in open water, and I can see a NEED for a minimum 5', at least for my diving profile. I have practiced close-quarter OOA situations a lot, especially with students, and that 7' is just so long... and hands-on control of an OOA diver is always necessary - remember buddy-sharing drills in the 1970's? Bigtime lessons learned then, when we'd practice with an OOA diver bolting for the surface. SHUDDER!!

daniel f aleman:
If you have an OOA incident in open water you are going to want the OOA diver close to you so you can look at his eyes and hold onto his rig. The single most important aspect is to prevent an OOA diver flying to the surface with your reg in his mouth. If you EVER have a REAL OOA incident in open water, you will understand. Hogartian, remember? The 7' is for single-file air share...

For me it took an OOA in open water. That was when I decided "There has to be a better way to to do this." and ended up switching to the longer hose fro the 'standard' setup. I'm glad I did.

For me, the difference between 5' and 7' was the way it goes around my body. The 5' was just too high, and got in the way of reaching for my backup reg.

jeckyll:
Stephen: This seems to be more about a certain persons personal crusade rather than the actual usefullness of the 7' hose for ow type diving :)

You post just makes way too much sense :D

Well... I feel bad about jumping on Daniel like I did. I mean if JeffG thinks Daniel's point is worth consideration then I probably should give it some further thought, too. I just don't see it and it is just the opposite of my experience.

Stephen,

I just made my 9500 dive today. I started the day with 9497. I get paid to dive as a working DM. I ONLY CARE ABOUT WHAT WORKS. That's the point of Hogartian, use what works, understand why.

Hogarthian IS equipment evolution responding to needs.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom