Long hose and octo with necklace for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the 40” hose running under the arm for primary for a little formmy singles setup but but the hose always tried to “bow out”.

I tried long hose a while back, and just didn't like it. I found the storage of the hose to be a faff and in my sort of rec diving not required. I don't dive overheads so air sharing in a line doesn't' apply.
I've shared air twice in low air situations and once in an out of air situation. In all three it was very easy to swim side by side a few feet apart rather than stuck next to each other. Having a seven foot hose allowed each diver to swim back to the exit without having to hold each other and being able to function as if they were on their own air. I don't find any cons to diving a long hose.

I tried the 40” hose running under the arm for primary for a little formmy singles setup but but the hose always tried to “bow out”.
The bowing out may be a reflection of the hose routing coming off the first stage. I use a similar approach in teaching - to get students used to primary donate from the start - and I find that putting a 70 degree fixed angle adapter between the second stage and the LP hose made all the difference in the world.

The bowing out may be a reflection of the hose routing coming off the first stage. I use a similar approach in teaching - to get students used to primary donate from the start - and I find that putting a 70 degree fixed angle adapter between the second stage and the LP hose made all the difference in the world.
I forgot to mention that I used an angle adaptor on the 2nd stage; still no cigar. For me the “solution” was to use the 40” hose for a stage reg and use a 7 ft hose like I use on my doubles. Overkill, but I really wanted to stay with primary donate.

My, my. I've been quote 3 times here...

Point 1. I said a 7' hose is a faff for me (@Storker) others might vary. I don't like the hose round my neck and prefer the hose under arms. In and Air share exerciser my rig has never felt to be lacking in flexibility

If I'm in a current (By current I mean reg vibrating in your mouth and mask letting in water from the water pressure), then I prefer my rig, I've tried 7' and don't like it/ and on boats its I've found it's a PITA.

Anyway a 7' isn't for me - YMMV.

Point 2. (@MaxBottomtime ) on a 40" you can swim side by side too, actually it doesn't matter which reg you pull out of me mouth, we can still swim side by side as my primary is to the right and secondary to the left. I don't dive caves nor serious wrecks requiring a trail formation, if I did I'd reconsider. Again I can tell you that from practise (not a real emergency - but with less experienced divers) my rig is sufficient to share air and control the buddy . Again YMMV.

POINT 3. (@Diver0001 ) I don't consider myself a tech diver, More Adv rec. I'm qualified to a max of 50m (160') with 2 deco gasses. Your point on breathable gasses falls down as soon as you're on deco. Do you have 7'hoses on your deco, or and alt on that cylinder? So for sure the reg in my mouth is the breathable gas, if you steal that I'm on back gas. Or I could put you on back gas. If we have a failure on deco that's a different story?

I'm NOT saying my way is the best. I've tried 7' and weighed up the pro's and cons. For the type of (fun) diving I do, my rig gives for me the best solution, and is an option for others to consider. When I'm teaching OW I use a conventional rig, but for Con Ed I introduce my rig and give the pro's and cons. No one has ever told me my rig is substandard compared with others. I dive with people who use 7' and those with a standard set up, I would feel comfortable sharing gasses with either and vis versa

Use what ever works for you..

Just wondering if anyone out there uses the tech setup with the long hoes primary and October on necklace for recreational diving. I'm thinking of setting up my rec setup this way and wondering if there are any real cons to it from a recreational perspective.
I do(7') and other divers do ask occasionally.

Just wondering if anyone out there uses the tech setup with the long hoes primary and October on necklace for recreational diving. I'm thinking of setting up my rec setup this way and wondering if there are any real cons to it from a recreational perspective.
whatever configuration you end up wirth you need to try it to understand the limitations of it -but personally i use this when Im rec diving because its important for the OOA diver who may be very stressed to not have to think about which reg to grab- before I dive I always tell my buddy whether its rec or etc to take what is in my mouth , that way you have it covered for air or any other gas mix.

the main thing fro you is to be comfortable to do a quick and tidy switch to your necklace

Go ahead try it, get some basic knowledge of how to use it.

I've come full circle, when I began tech training I pimped out my rec gear trying to bridge some gap between the two. Recently I put my rec gear pretty much back to rec config and I enjoy it better. It's in context with the dives and the other divers I enjoy it with. Travels better too.

Long hose set up is brilliant, as long as your buddy/partner understands the deployment of it in an out of air emergency. In some ways it is safer than a short hose octopus as it puts the air donor in control of the situation, meaning that the more calm diver is able to better support them. It also allows easier movement through wreck passages where you need the 'casualty' behind (or preferably in front) of you. Only problems I've found with it is that it can get tangled more easily than a standard short hose, and full face masks are pretty much unusable with the configuration as the casualty cannot remove it easily

I am a big believer in long hose for all types of diving. I find it hard to swim side by side with my dive buddy while airsharing if I do not have a long hose. Also find it hard to do a safety stop while doing air share. The only option I think we would have while air-sharing on a short hose is to go up. There may be situations in recreational diving open water diving where that may not be the best idea. I dive mostly in NC where current gets stronger as you go up. You would want to go to swim to the ascent line while airsharing and go up from there. I think long hose lets you handle these scenarios better but you have to be trained to deploy it.

Back
Top Bottom