Long gone asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smenkhare

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all.
I had asthma when I was around 5-7 (am now 29) and have not had a reocurrance since. I've also used breathing apparatus with the fire brigade with no issues. Would I still need to get a dive medical (no other conditions other than this.)

Thanks.

It's not a bad idea to get pulmonary function testing. It's likely that you no longer have any bronchospasm, but since the risks of diving WITH it are potentially disastrous, if it were me, I'd get tested. Australia is also very compulsive about such things, so if you don't lie on your forms, I suspect they'd require testing, anyway.

MMy son was diagnosed when he was 2, the only time he had occurances was when exposed to cigarette smoke (the original precipitating incident) or when he had a cold. The last time he used an inhaler was when he was 8 or 9. We had him checked out at 16 when he did his OW and he got a clean bill. The minor inconvienience of the medical was well worth the peace of mind.

Childhood asthma that's resolved is probably a non-issue but like TSandM said, it's best to get checked out. It's likely just a formality. Good luck!

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom