Long deco "incident" last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited by charlesml3; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Completely useless feedback

That is twice you say that. I think you have realized that the story showed some flaws in your dive planning and education. None of the feedback has been harsh or critical so take the feedback that people are giving you here and run with it. Do not call it useles....learn from it. Understand that perhaps you do not know everything you need to know and take another dive class. Find a mentor.....something. Nobody knows everything and while we may not like the things we fail at being pointed out in a public forum, this is an internet board.....not much more public than this.

We have all done some silly or stupid things in our life.....hopefully when we find out where we fell short, we will learn from it to become a better "whatever" (in this case diver). Do not call the feedback useless because it is far from that. You just seem to have closed your mind to the answers because they were not completely in your favour.

In the case I cited, Peter's computer was functioning flawlessly as the computer it is. I just don't feel the information it was offering was valid. It was nice to have the background to know exactly WHY this particular computer was doing what it was doing, as well as having the reinforcement that other computers which had done the same series of dives were NOT showing the same obligation -- had we run short of gas, or been getting very cold, we would have known we could safely truncate the decompression time. That was the point of the story.

It's an important point and one that gets more interesting in situations where both divers may have an overly conservsative model of computer.

Consider though what happens when Billy Bob diver posts "I blew off 15 minutes of deco on my computer because I knew I did not need it and I was also running short on gas." Poor Billy Bob is gonna get crucified on the board. :D

One argument I heard in favor of using a very liberal computer for technical diving was that you dive the dive based on a plan gnerated by tables and in the event you need to abort the dive early, or need to curtail the deco due to weather, injured diver, etc, the very liberal computer gets you to the surface in the shortest reasonable time without an excessive risk of getting bent. (although I'd probably stay on O2 on board the boat for awhile.)

That makes some degree of sense, while an excessively conservative computer is just a PITA in a similar circumstance that at best is going to make the diver wonder what is going on. Either way, a diver needs to understand the tables and the dive plan to know what is going on and to know whether the computer's directions are faulty.

Back
Top Bottom