Lonely planet scuba diving books, Any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasper wendelboe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Was thinking about getting a few, but Are they Any good. Dive locations, fish id and such things. Thank you

I've got both Virgin Islands books. I bought them around 2002 b4 our trip there.

The first 30 pages or so are maps, how to get there, what to see (tourist stuff etc) The rest of the book is dive sites then at the very back there's a few pages of small photos of fish you might see plus some real generic dive info.

if you want a fish reference - they're not it.

The pages are just starting to come out of the binding on one of them. I didn't really use either much exxept to read thru once on the plane -we dove with the same operator all week and let them pick the sites.

fwiw most of the info is available on websites now for any of the popular dive locations - most have portals with dive sites, travel info, resorts etc.

If you want a good fish reference - Paul Humann has some excellent books - including this one which I own. The Reef Set: Reef Fish, Reef Creature and Reef Coral (3 Volumes): Paul Humann, Ned Deloach: 9781878348333: Amazon.com: Books

not cheap but it's the bible of fish books. I've seen geo appropriate versions in use both at a shop on Bonaire and a boat on Maui. At the Bonaire shop they used it to do REEF fish count surveys with dive guests.

I've got both Virgin Islands books. I bought them around 2002 b4 our trip there.

The first 30 pages or so are maps, how to get there, what to see (tourist stuff etc) The rest of the book is dive sites then at the very back there's a few pages of small photos of fish you might see plus some real generic dive info.

if you want a fish reference - they're not it.

The pages are just starting to come out of the binding on one of them. I didn't really use either much exxept to read thru once on the plane -we dove with the same operator all week and let them pick the sites.

fwiw most of the info is available on websites now for any of the popular dive locations - most have portals with dive sites, travel info, resorts etc.

If you want a good fish reference - Paul Humann has some excellent books - including this one which I own. The Reef Set: Reef Fish, Reef Creature and Reef Coral (3 Volumes): Paul Humann, Ned Deloach: 9781878348333: Amazon.com: Books

not cheap but it's the bible of fish books. I've seen geo appropriate versions in use both at a shop on Bonaire and a boat on Maui. At the Bonaire shop they used it to do REEF fish count surveys with dive guests.
Awesome. But Are there Any like the reef set for redsea, with just as much fish guide?

Back
Top Bottom