Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Not really.

I'm saying that you could take a PADI OW class. Then you could take some other class...say a PADI nitrox class...and go out and do some diving. Then with log book documentation of 20 dives experience in deep, nav night? (or did they remove that?) You could then take a PADI rescue class.

Check the standards. the prereqs are AOW or equivilant...defined as...

I'll check the standards when I get home but I dare say I find it hard to believe..

What the PADI site says about the prerequisites for rescue is this (plus the age requirements and whatever):

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or PADI Junior Advanced Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)

And if you click on the word "organization" then it gives you a complete list of qualifying certs..... No mention of logbook.

R..

wolf eel :
Ok what part?

This part...........

wolf eel :
The Law as to say is our own. That is why a "C" card is improtant.

and this part.........
wolf eel :
That is the point as I have had a barrage of e-mails saying P.A.D.I is the one to give you your cert card this way do you not agree?

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means.

At one time, PADI would issue an OW card to uncertified divers without a class through their "Experienced Diver Program." Is that no longer the case?

underwater daphne:
actually i just did my efr and am doing my rescue now and none of the instructors has seen a card or a log book. kinda weird now that i think of it.

EFR doesn't require a C-card. But rescue does. Are you sure no one confirmed with the agency before your dives? If not, maybe they just trusted you. Not good practice, but in this case I guess it'll work out ok.

=Steve=

Diver0001:
I'll check the standards when I get home but I dare say I find it hard to believe..

What the PADI site says about the prerequisites for rescue is this (plus the age requirements and whatever):

And if you click on the word "organization" then it gives you a complete list of qualifying certs..... No mention of logbook.

R..

Forget the website. Check the standards. If I get a chance before you do, I'll post a direct quote.

Be certified as PADI Advanced Open Water Diver OR
Have a qualifying certification from another training organization. This is defined as proof of certification beyond entry level (at least two certifications total). These divers must also have proof of 20 or more logged dives documenting experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.

From Course Prerequisites, page 1-2, PADI Rescue Diver Instructor Manual.

Experienced Diver:
The purpose of the Experienced Diver program is to allow you to certify divers who are not certified, but who can provide proof of scuba experience, or to certify divers certified by training organizations other than PADI as PADI Open Water Divers.

Course Prerequisites
Any diver with a scuba certification from a training organization other than PADI may enroll for Experienced Diver certification. In most instances, a continuing education course may better meet the diver’s needs.
OR
Any diver who has been diving for a minimum of two years and has proof of 20 or more open water dives, and who has never taken a scuba course, may apply for an Experienced Diver certification.

You may accept properly logged dives or military qualification as proof of experience. Other acceptable proof of dive experience includes a statement witnessed by a certified diver.

Use this certification carefully and with discretion. As the certifying instructor, you are responsible for the diver’s qualification.

Procedures for the Experienced-Diver Certification
To earn the PADI Open Water Diver certification, the Experienced Diver must satisfactorily complete the PADI Scuba Review program, PADI Open Water Diver Course Final Exam, and Open Water Dives 1 through 4 as outlined. You may allow applicants to meet these requirements
by participating in the final phase of a regular Open Water Diver course.

From PADI OW Instructor Manual, Experienced Diver, p 1-9

MikeFerrara:
Forget the website. Check the standards. If I get a chance before you do, I'll post a direct quote.

Here is the direct quote:

Be certified as PADI Advanced
Open Water Diver
OR
Have a qualifying certification
from another training organization.
This is defined as proof
of certification beyond entry
level (at least two certifications
total). These dives must also
have proof of 20 or more logged
dives documenting experience
in deep diving and underwater
navigation.

R..

spthomas:
EFR doesn't require a C-card. But rescue does. Are you sure no one confirmed with the agency before your dives? If not, maybe they just trusted you. Not good practice, but in this case I guess it'll work out ok.

=Steve=

i dunno, i doubt, but i signed up on the lds website and forum and took part in some discussions etc. and i told them we own a resort in malaysia etc. so i guess, he trusts me.

which is ok in away and also shows that some instructors actually mean well and make mistakes. not all of em just try to get you through a certification no matter what.

i've done my certs, owd and aowd and efr, so there will be no problem with the rescue cert. but they don't really know that i guess.

The law as to say is our own. That is why a "C" card is important

We have no law at all in rec diving NO law and when it comes down too it you do not require a cert at all. But if we did not have a certafication level we would have loads of law as to what we are allowed to do. Because we goveren ourselves we have been left alone. That is why I said "the law as to say is our own"

Barrage of e-mails

That was about another persons response.

I did try to address this already. Post #14

Cheers
Derek

In most dive destinations a log book without a C card will not get you on the boat. Living in a resort area I have run into this several times. As an instructor if someone showed me a log book showing considerable experience, I would make require them to pass the written test and demonstrate that they can do all the skills required for a cert. With an experienced diver this can be done on a single dive. The PADI requirements simply states that the student must demonstrate that they have "mastered" all the skills, therefore doing separate confined water and 4 open water dives is not required if the student /diver is truely experianced, of course the first dive will be in very controlled conditions.

as far as US courts are concerned. what a joke! Please refer to the OJ Simpson case, and the Mcdonalds Coffee in the lap case! C cards, log Books, boat waivers, not worth a hill of beans with the right lawyer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom