Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats funny I thought I dithched that.

Anyhow it really should not matter as liability is about the same on both sides. In most case's but you get bigger sums paid.

The point is I keep hearing how a log book is as good as a "C" card and that if I showed up with just a Log book I could take a quick course and recieve a "C" card.

The other end of this is If I let you dive off my boat and you only produce a log book and then you screw up as a solo diver am I going to get a beating in court because I based all information about you with only your log. And no way of knowing if you had indeed taken a course. ? The more we except the solo diving then we become more liabil because we have shown how dangerous it can be. By having course's. Like putting up a sign on the gate saying "beware of dog' that say's you know you have a nasty dog. And become liabil for it's action all the faster.

Cheers
Derek

You should check with you local attorney...
In Croatia for example we have a law saying that no diving is allowed without a gov. issued card (which can only be bought if you have a valid card of one of the approved agencies) - so no diving with only a logbook

offtopic: our law is actually much worse since it only permits diving with dive centers (commercial) or dive clubs (noncomm.) - no "me myself and I" diving is allowed!

wolf eel:
....snip....

The point is I keep hearing how a log book is as good as a "C" card and that if I showed up with just a Log book I could take a quick course and recieve a "C" card.

In the PADI system this most certainly is *not* the case. A logbook is not proof of qualification for anything and to get a C card having only a logbook as proof of experience then you'll have to take the whole course.

R..

actually i just did my efr and am doing my rescue now and none of the instructors has seen a card or a log book. kinda weird now that i think of it.

Depends on the local law and the whim of the jury. In the US, neither is required by law. Personally, I trust logs more than cards, since most training is sadly lacking in quality.

underwater daphne:
actually i just did my efr and am doing my rescue now and none of the instructors has seen a card or a log book. kinda weird now that i think of it.

But, I'll bet you have to put down a cert number and cert date on your application, which can be verified by the agency certifying you in rescue... :)

yes, of course. but that would mean that they only find out if i can dive after i've filled out the form. until then we'll have been diving at least twice together. well it doesn't really matter, but just saying.

[In the US, neither is required by law. Personally, I trust logs more than cards, since most training is sadly lacking in quality.]

They are not requiered by law here either but it is requiered by the insurer.

The Law as to say is our own. That is why a "C" card is improtant. I most defenetly agree as for the lacking of true course's and it is true a log book tells more but the two give you credit in court that you at least checked.

Something like this. Not in the P.A.D.I system

That is the point as I have had a barrage of e-mails saying P.A.D.I is the one to give you your cert card this way do you not agree?

Cheers
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom